PDA

View Full Version : Body: 63 Hawk

Daytona
09-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Does anyone know where I can find the trunk alum. overlay for a 63 Hawk or how put the studs in my old one that the suds are gone.

BobPalma
09-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Do the little tabs still exist that hold the studs? They look like this:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF1956.jpg

There should be five pairs along the bottom and eight pairs along the top. You can usually get by with a few pairs not having both tabs, but if many are missing, it's usually best to find a good overlay. BP

Milaca
09-30-2011, 10:43 PM
I tried adhering one this summer on a 1962 Hawk with automotive urethane adhesive (as it had missing tabs) but after 3 weeks of being clamped (while letting the urethane cure), I removed the clamps and found that the urethane was still uncured in areas. So, I need to redo it and may try silicone sealant this time. As for a different overlay, they can be found at large Studebaker swap meets and also on Ebay sometimes but may not be any better than what you have.

mbstude
09-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Perfect overlays don't seem to exist. As I posted in your other thread about this, double-sided 3M trim tape is the way to go. It's some amazing stuff!

Daytona
10-01-2011, 02:12 PM
No they aren't there.

Daytona
10-01-2011, 02:17 PM
There are no tabs I did wonder if I could use JB Weld and glue the studs if anyone has tried that method.

Milaca
10-01-2011, 09:36 PM
I will try Matthews suggestion of using 3M double face tape when I reapply my overlay this winter. I would be affraid of JB weld breaking as there is little contact area being the T-screw heads are very small.

52 Ragtop
10-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Try using 3 M panel Bond, # 8115 we "glue" cars back together with this stuff! and it holds. Be sure to "scuff up" the surface with some 40 or 60 grit sand paper. The stuff comes in a 2 part tube, runs about $45 for a tube. Also takes a special "double caulking" gun to use it. OR, go to your local friendly Collision Center (bring beer) <G> and see if one of the guys will help you out.

Jim

rockne10
10-01-2011, 10:15 PM
But, if you use the panel bond or other two part adhesives, that trim is never coming off. At least with the double sided tape some flexibility remains.

Warren Webb
10-01-2011, 11:29 PM
I dont know the number but the 3M grey colored double sided tape always seemed to hold better (IMHA)

jimmijim8
10-03-2011, 09:48 AM
JB weld or some sort of epoxy {PC 7} to the stud heads is the way to go. Would be a good idea to make up some very thin sheet metal rectangulsr washers 1/2 X1 inch {.016-.020 thick so as to put the threaded stud through a 1/8 inch hole in washer thus making more surface area for the epoxy to adhere the head and both washer to the backside of the overlay. Rough up the surface with 80 grit paper. Mark the position and put a dab of epoxy right over your mark. set in place you assembly and cover the whole schmear with epoxy. Not the threads.. You dont want to much build up epoxy as the overlay wont fit closely enough around the edges. I did this as i had 2 sets of tabs missing. Before glueing , Test fit by holding the overlay in the proper position and mark on the back side of the overlay through the predrilled trunk mounting holes so as to know wher to locate the stud and washer/epoxy combination. Mark all holes and secure all the studs with epoxy and what tabs you have left. Let the stuff dry overnight an put it on remembering not to tighten the nuts excessively. You don't want to distort the overlay. cheers jimmijim. cheers jimmijim
There are no tabs I did wonder if I could use JB Weld and glue the studs if anyone has tried that method.

mbstude
10-03-2011, 10:40 AM
I wouldn't use JB Weld. Dan Miller was showing me his '63 Hawk recently. He had used JB Weld on the studs of the overlay, and they had all broken loose. There just isn't enough contact area on the stud heads to hold that much pressure.

jimmijim8
10-03-2011, 01:46 PM
That is the reason for the 1 X1/2 inch .016- .020 thick rectangular washers I was spealing of in my previous.post. . More surface area for the epoxy to adhere to. I aein't LION. Shoot me an emailif any body needing some directive. I use PC-7 epoxy paste. cheers jimmijim
I wouldn't use JB Weld. Dan Miller was showing me his '63 Hawk recently. He had used JB Weld on the studs of the overlay, and they had all broken loose. There just isn't enough contact area on the stud heads to hold that much pressure.

Daytona
10-14-2011, 12:12 PM
I did solve my problem thanks to you.