No announcement yet.

The Lamberti papers #22 (June 3, 1963)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lamberti papers #22 (June 3, 1963)

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Purchasing shipwrecked units -- I've heard Dennis from SASCO mention this before. Is there any news about this in the archives?
    When was the shipwreck? How many Studebaker vehicles were involved? Etc?

Comment

"We had about 10 people approach us about Studebaker going into racing and attended a meeting of about 4 hours with the hot rod people about drag racing."

Oh, puleeze. Such foolishness, Studebakers are sensible, economical cars.

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniac View Post
        Purchasing shipwrecked units -- I've heard Dennis from SASCO mention this before. Is there any news about this in the archives?
        When was the shipwreck? How many Studebaker vehicles were involved? Etc?
        Art, if no one else provides the info you seek, I'll see if the South Bend Tribune covered the story. If they did, and we know an approximate date, it should be fairly easy to locate it on micro-film in the St. Joe County Public Library.

Also, the comment; "." would lead me to believe these "vehicles" were being shipped CKD ...or at least SKD to Belgium.

Comment

Maybe this has been answered already but what is the "snowbank" they talk about? I'm sure by June the spring thaw has reached South Bend.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

If the guy keeping all the engines after the ship wreck at Muskegon there may be a lot of them around there, maybe he ended up just scrapping them. And maybe these were all those frames at SASCO.
            I doubt if these frames had serial numbers yet, if they did maybe they were they reserialed if used. Anyone have one of these frames from SASCO?
            Did they have serial numbers?
            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Just to let you know: This board meeting was held exactly one day after I was born.

Moving on...

2. New York Taxicabs

Mr. Challinor received a copy of the new ordinance for the City of New York and is concerned about our car meeting the required dimension from the floor pan to the roof. . He will meet with Engineering to see what can be done. The colors of the cabs are being restricted to help cut down the crime. They can make a faster identification of each cab if they are all alike.

Oh such quality engineering.
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Hi

This might explain why the rear roofline of the '64 models are are raised noticibly. I prefer the gentle slope they had up until then, but if this change helped pass this requirement, it had to go.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                  . He will meet with Engineering to see what can be done. Oh such quality engineering.
                  Believe me, I've seen some pretty 'rough' factory modifications made to big rigs; most notably, fire-fighting equipment; even lately. Some of the things I've seen are raw cuts in the grille which remains upright while the rest of the hood tilts as a huge pump sits in front on the extended bumper, and wouldn't clear otherwise. And there are other areas I have seen where hasty modifications were made in the interiors of other trucks as well.

Craig

Comment

We have 147 orders that can’t be built – we have orders, but not what has been projected. According to Mr. Soelch, 78 of those orders are for Newman & Altman, the material for which isn’t on order. There will be a meeting on trucks at 3 o’clock today in Mr. Whitmer’s office.

I guess Studebaker invented lean manufacturing. Not having the parts for 147 vehicles that they have orders for is real lean

Comment

It's been about a week since my latest 'fix' so I hope there is a Lamberti papers #23.

It's just that I remember that the 'folder' stops at some time during June 1963 .

So , in any event , we must be near the end . If we can't track down the 'minutes'

of the next six months , can I suggest that the Board of Directors 'minutes' from

August 1963 onwards be "published" here on the SDC Forum , as we already

know that they do indeed exist . In the meantime I wonder what avenues "WE"

could pursue to try and complete the rest of the 1963 Dept Heads 'Minutes' .

They must be out there somewhere . Thanks in advance to Richard Quinn and

Dr Lamberti's son in bringing these 'papers' to light after 48 years .

CRUISER

Comment

I have looked forward to the posting of everyone of them. First thing I look for is has another been posted. Thanks for the efforts.
                        Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                        Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Working...
                        X