VIN # 1941 commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIN # 1941 commander

I am trying to locate the VIN # on the chassy on a 1941 commander. I am having a Highway patrol officer verify the vehicle friday. The one on the door post is there but I believe there is another at some other location on the car. Thanks Larry

The one on the door post is probably the only one you will find. The "secret" serial number stamped in the rear frame crossmember is probably long disappeared.
    It's a little late now for Friday but, if you need additional documentation, and your '41 has not been molested, you can order the original factory production sheet from the Studebaker National Museum. It will include the engine number that was installed in your chassis.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

On the pre WWII models the serial number is stamped into the left underside frame rail directly below where you would enter the drivers door. It is not stamped very deep and much wire brushing will be required to bring it out. However it should not be necessary unless the inspector sees something amiss with the original serial plate.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thanks guys The chp officer that is going to verify the car asked if I knew where the other number might be. He must have been down this road before. The vcehicle has a lost title and this is the reason for the verification.

Comment

When I brought mine from WA to BC, the number on the title was the number stamped on the engine block. It is approx. 1/2" by 2" and located on the drivers side of the block near the front.
          sigpic
          Brian Schuppert

71 Buick Riviera
          41 Studebaker Commander

Comment

Engines can, and have been, easily changed. Most, if not all, states that require a title have adopted the body/chassis serial number for registration purposes; especially incitefull if there is a matching number stamped somewhere on the frame. If replacement titles are being produced, I would encourage use of the serial number.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
            X