PDA

View Full Version : Gear oil leak

new cruiser
06-07-2007, 09:36 PM
I just finished re-wiring my 54 Land Cruiser. Everything works, but I noticed athat the lock out switch[?] for the overdrive is leaking gear oil. Do I need a new switch? Gasket? Or is it something more serious?

r1lark
06-08-2007, 07:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by new cruiser

I just finished re-wiring my 54 Land Cruiser. Everything works, but I noticed athat the lock out switch[?] for the overdrive is leaking gear oil. Do I need a new switch? Gasket? Or is it something more serious?

Are you talking about the reverse lockout switch?

If so: There is a gasket under this switch, the ones I have replaced have been a cork-type of flat gasket. I just make a new one with some very similar 3M gasket material that has an adhesive backing on one side. This should stop the leak.

If the leak persists, you can simply remove the reverse lockout, make a small plate out of 1/8" flat plate, and a gasket, and install in place of the switch. Splice the wires together and you are good to go. Studebaker did the same thing (eliminated the reverse lockout switch) in either '55 or '56. I suppose they finally figured out that anyone stupid enough to go fast enough in reverse to engage the O/D deserved the consequences. (The consequences being a trashed O/D unit and sprained neck at a minimum<G>........)

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html