Ready to Rack Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready to Rack Hawk

Well I have read all the comments that have been made so far on the Forum re: putting Rack & Pinion Steering in a C/K car.
    I am ready to proceed!
    This is just one last chance to throw your 2 cents worth in the ring.
    Any new revolations???
    Please comment ASAP.
    I want this to work....and believe someone has found the secret!
    Good Roads
    Brian
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Well since most indications seem to be: "it can't be done properly", good luck with that Brian!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi Rich
      What are you doing up this late?
      Did you read my question to you re pertonixs for Sandi's Hawk?
      Brian
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Well Jay
        What do you think?
        Brian
        Brian Woods
        woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

You should really think about one of these.

But don't use it as a quckener, turn it around and use it as a slower-downer.
          I paid $150 for mine, they're on sale now for $80. Wow, what a deal.
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

A friend of mine is presently having a GM power rack and pinion (not sure from what, but I'll find out) installed on a '54 Champion Starlight which has a smallblock Chevy in it. As soon as the car is driveable, I'll check it out and post the results here (should be in the next week or so).
            Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
            '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
            '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
            '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Thanks Howard
              You can e-mail me directly. Just put power rack in your title.
              Thanks
              Brian
              Brian Woods
              woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                You should really think about one of these.

But don't use it as a quckener, turn it around and use it as a slower-downer.
                I paid $150 for mine, they're on sale now for $80. Wow, what a deal.
                Thanks Jerry
                Have you driven yours yet? And are you sure slowing the steering down is necessay??
                Brian
                Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
                  A friend of mine is presently having a GM power rack and pinion (not sure from what, but I'll find out) installed on a '54 Champion Starlight which has a smallblock Chevy in it. As soon as the car is driveable, I'll check it out and post the results here (should be in the next week or so).
                  That's great! Please do let us know your real-world impressions. Everything I've seen seems to point to bump steer and an uncomfortable dartiness. Looking forward to your findings!
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

No, poor ole Leo hasn't been touched except for a wipe down in over a year.
                    Yes, in my opinion, maybe, I think so. I think with the 2 to 1 reducer you wont even need power assist. I suppose without a power steering pump you may still need a fluid reservoir and hoses for lubricant for the R&P.
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Brian, once upon a time, a long, long time ago, you asked my why the driver's side tie rod ends are bent. Since you are this close to needing that information the answer is
                      Last edited by Jerry Forrester; 09-28-2011, 05:42 PM.
                      Jerry Forrester
                      Forrester's Chrome
                      Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                        Everything I've seen seems to point to bump steer.
                        Everybody is talking about 'bump steer'. I want to know who, besides me, has removed the springs and shocks from a stock Stude front suspension and checked the bump steer on a stock Stude. I think you'll be surprised with what you find and will not dis modified steering systems again because you think you heard someone say at some time, someone somewhere had bump steer in their system.

Looking forward to your findings!
                        Ditto
                        Jerry Forrester
                        Forrester's Chrome
                        Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
                          Hi Rich
                          Did you read my question to you re pertonixs for Sandi's Hawk?
                          Brian
                          Only if you PM'd me, I don't do emails (private conversations) on the Forum Posts, and I did not see it.

UPDATE: I found this, see post #5, it could be your answer:

Last edited by StudeRich; 09-28-2011, 03:55 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                            Everybody is talking about 'bump steer'. I want to know who, besides me, has removed the springs and shocks from a stock Stude front suspension and checked the bump steer on a stock Stude. I think you'll be surprised with what you find and will not dis modified steering systems again because you think you heard someone say at some time, someone somewhere had bump steer in their system.
                            Jerry-

I have not done so. Before I seriously entertained the idea I naturally started to research it. To date I have only heard of two Studebakers that have actually completed and driven a R&P conversion with a Studebaker rear-steer setup. Both had bump-steer issues that could not be resolved. Both reported darty, unpredictable steering that made driving the car a constant white-knuckle experience. Both resolved it by tearing apart their fresh builds and converting to an aftermarket clip, like Fatman.

I did not save the info on who they were; at least one and maybe both were discussed here on the Forum. Looking back I wish I had saved their information. At the time I was taking them with a grain of salt, thinking inexperience might have been the culprit. I kept them in mind and continued my research.

As I look at the Stude suspension and visualize a R&P I haven't found one that looks possible to the naked eye. The problem is finding a rack with narrow enough take-off points; that is, the right tie-rod length. Yours looks great, and I have looked at it many times, but in the pictures I can't visualize the pivot point alignments; which of course is the key. The proof of the pudding is how it actually works on the road- and AFAIK you still have not tried it, correct?

I don't yet have a dog in this hunt. My ultimate project is in the planning stages. Personally I'm rooting for a R&P to be the whole, correct solution. I don't want the stock Stude P/S system, and I don't want to do a clip. Thus far I have not seen one proven successful Stude R&P system. Ultimately that's what got me started on the Borgeson steering box conversion. That's a ways off, which is no problem for me; maybe in the meantime someone will take the risk on R&P and get one on the road, and prove out the solution. Until then, in my judgement I have not seen any encouraging results. Until somebody has proven it out in long-term use, I am not willing to roll those dice.

I appreciate that you have checked bump steer on yours. But the real, final test will be when the car is assembled and running, and you get some miles on it. Make me a believer, I'll jump on the bandwagon with both feet! Until then, that cost and effort will be withheld.
                            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                            Romans 15:13
                            Deuteronomy 31:6
                            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Thanks Rich
                              I already knew what pertronixs were. Just thought you were selling them?/
                              Brian
                              Brian Woods
                              woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X