Mandatory Provincial Safety Inspections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory Provincial Safety Inspections

In 1969, the Alberta government came up with the wonderful idea of annual mandatory safety inspections on all cars one year and older. After about a year-and-a-half, the provincial government decided to kill the program as it was deemed "too expensive". Part of the reason was also the 'experienced mechanics' who were doing the inspections as revealed by the Front Suspension in this report:

Craig

Provincial Inspection

Other than the fact that the car "owner" and the "operator" (Inspector) are one in the same person, what is wrong with it?

Right Sus., 22 & OK, Steering Slack 25 & OK, I don't read Canadian Craig, what does that mean? ...looks OK to me, Drive on!

Update: What, they missed the King Pins?
    Last edited by StudeRich; 09-27-2011, 10:32 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yep, they "OK'd" all four of the non-existent ball joints,and crossed out the king pins!

(I actually saw the car, it was definitely stock Studebaker.)

Craig

Comment

Had to chuckle @ the 'Spare Tire' check off as well..............some vehicles today don't even come with them anymore.
        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

According to the form, it's a '69. Maybe by then the king pins were gone.

"Operator" means "driver." The inspector's signature is on the right side of the form.
          Yes, I was a government employee for 30 years. Still have my SF-46!

Comment

Originally posted by comatus View Post
            According to the form, it's a '69. Maybe by then the king pins were gone.
            Definitely not. I parted the car out circa 1980. As I mentioned in my second post, it was original, but unfortunately, it was very rusty by then.

Craig

Comment

in the box Yr 33-34 it looks like the year of the car was a 69 the same as the year ofinspection

Comment

Working...
              X