Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you know about the Budd Company as it applies to cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you know about the Budd Company as it applies to cars?

It is my understanding that: the Budd Company took the full size wood model (how amazing is that, in itself) of the 1953 Starliner and hand-built a full-sized, working, metal car for them to test and photograph!!!

Wow! What a team of craftsman!?! Did they do it for all of Detroit at the time, or just for Studebaker? Did they do it for years before on the early cars or, when did it start?

I know they are still around, and they do train cars but: does anyone know about their link to the automotive world?

Thanks

You can read about Budd here:

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

1965-68 (to 1969 Imperial) Chrysler C body 4 piston caliper disc brakes as well as 'Budd' wheels used on big rig trucks..........the ones with 8 big lugs vs. the 'Dayton' wheels with 5 big lugs in a star pattern on the perimeter of the rim.
      --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

We do know that they make all of the Stude. Frames, many of the Body parts, and all of the wheels until 1964 when some Kelsey Hayes Wheels were used on Disc. Brake Cars. and then back to Budd for Canadian cars. I am sure they make more parts as well.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

They also made the complete doors and the pickup beds for the M trucks, among many other parts for Studebaker and many other auto companies.
          Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

When I was with Sherwin-Williams, back in the 70's, we developed a water-based paint for their wheel devision. It was silver metallic, and you just sprayed it on the greasy metal, and it floated the oil to the surface of the paint, and you just washed it off. Pretty cool stuff, back in the day. It has come a long way since than.

Comment

Hi

The Edward G. Budd Manufacturing Company made stamping and subassemblies for nearly every automaker, the same as A.O. Smith, Murray Corporation, Fisher Brothers, Briggs Manufacturing and myriad others. They were well established by the advent of automaking, added services to their portfolio for this market.

Steve

Comment

Working...
              X