Wiring Harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Wiring Harness

I have a 1948 Land Cruiser. The coating on a lot of the wiring in the engine compartment and under the car is cracking and flaking off. That leaves me with a lot of bare wires. Have any of you installed a new wiring harness? If so, is it a job that the average guy can do? Joe

I put a wiring harness in an Avanti and it went well. I had the shop manual so I knew how to remove the dashboard. I used a NOS harness and followed the wiring diagram in the manual to get everything connected up right. I cautiously connected the battery and no smoke and it all worked. It was less work than I expected. Your results may vary. Go for it.

Ken

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Ken. You're so optimistic that, at this time, I think I'll try it. Joe

Comment

Joe,
        If you get a generic harness be certain it is gauged for a 6-volt system. Several Stude vendors have the proper harness available in modern wire. If you want the original lacquered braided wire you will need to contact YnZ's Yesterdays Parts or Rhode Island Wire Service. Both make beautiful harnesses that will cost twice as much as Stude vendors supply.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yeah, an average guy can do it.

But best to know what a harness does and doesn't consist of. Studebakers West (who makes 'em) probably sells a main chassis harness, a body harness, and an overdrive harness. This will power your car, run your lights, etc. It does NOT include wiring for things like dome light, glovebox light, clock, radio, etc.
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

The Studebaker West harness's may not include the glove box light, radio, & clock, BUT, they are the correct colors and by following the wiring diagram in the shop manual, they pretty much fall into place! I've used one on my 52 Commander and most recently on my 63 Avanti.

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

I bought a harness from SI and installed it my self. Take lots of before photos, label everything and have the wiring diagram enlarged. If you are at least an "Average Joe" you will be fine.

Joe
              54 Land Cruiser

Comment

Working...
              X