Dead speed head in a 1962 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Dead speed head in a 1962 Lark

As many of you know; I'm converting my 1962 Lark to a SBC/TH350 with a low numeric rear end.

My speedometer is broken (def in the head because I can hear it 'click' while driving but the pointer does not move). Since I'm already going with a TH350 and a new cable; is there an aftermarket speedo that would fit in the dash? I'm thinking S-W or similar. Plus I would like to have a tripometer.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
    As many of you know; I'm converting my 1962 Lark to a SBC/TH350 with a low numeric rear end.

My speedometer is broken (def in the head because I can hear it 'click' while driving but the pointer does not move). Since I'm already going with a TH350 and a new cable; is there an aftermarket speedo that would fit in the dash? I'm thinking S-W or similar. Plus I would like to have a tripometer.

The click you are hearing is probably the broken cable, check it first.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

A mid 74 Camaro cable should screw right on, its driveshaft is also a bolt in with the dana to GM U joint, and the gas pedal fits nice too!

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
        The click you are hearing is probably the broken cable, check it first.
        Doubtful. Why I say that is the speedo pointer is askew and the noise appears to enimate (sp) from the head unit itself. Plus after I dropped the tranny out of the car; the cable is hard to twist as if it's binding up somewhere.

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
          A mid 74 Camaro cable should screw right on, its driveshaft is also a bolt in with the dana to GM U joint, and the gas pedal fits nice too!
          Good tips but; I doubt the driveshaft will fit since my car since it is a Y body with its 113" wheelbase; the two door Lark types had the ca. 108" WB. And the Dana 27 is going bu-bye soon since i want a diff with ca. 3:00 gears and flanged axles.

Comment

Disconnected the cable @ the speedometer head; cable turns freely now so the problem is def in the head itself. Note too the pointer is askew, even with the head sitting in my hand out of the car.

Comment

Right where the cable attaches to the speedometer head, there is a tiny depression with a pinhole in the bottom of it. that is a oil hole. in recorded history, no one has ever put oil in that hole, but you can change that. When you replace the speedo, you can oil it and it will run smoother and quieter than ever.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I said the heck with it: picked up a NOS 1962 speedo head from Chuck at Studebakerparts.com here in the Phx area. Come to find out: the head in my 1962 Lark may be incorrect; it has a white face with 5 MPH graduations whereas my new one is black face with 1 MPH marks. Note it does not say 'Police Certified' or anything like that.

Comment

The white face is on the basic line car while the black face was used on Daytona & Crusier (deluxe) models.
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                  X