PDA

View Full Version : Speedo/Tach/Gauges Dead speed head in a 1962 Lark

1962larksedan
09-26-2011, 11:48 PM
As many of you know; I'm converting my 1962 Lark to a SBC/TH350 with a low numeric rear end.

My speedometer is broken (def in the head because I can hear it 'click' while driving but the pointer does not move). Since I'm already going with a TH350 and a new cable; is there an aftermarket speedo that would fit in the dash? I'm thinking S-W or similar. Plus I would like to have a tripometer. :)

JDP
09-26-2011, 11:56 PM
As many of you know; I'm converting my 1962 Lark to a SBC/TH350 with a low numeric rear end.

My speedometer is broken (def in the head because I can hear it 'click' while driving but the pointer does not move). Since I'm already going with a TH350 and a new cable; is there an aftermarket speedo that would fit in the dash? I'm thinking S-W or similar. Plus I would like to have a tripometer. :)

The click you are hearing is probably the broken cable, check it first.

(S)
09-27-2011, 12:38 AM
A mid 74 Camaro cable should screw right on, its driveshaft is also a bolt in with the dana to GM U joint, and the gas pedal fits nice too!

1962larksedan
09-27-2011, 12:16 PM
The click you are hearing is probably the broken cable, check it first.

Doubtful. Why I say that is the speedo pointer is askew and the noise appears to enimate (sp) from the head unit itself. Plus after I dropped the tranny out of the car; the cable is hard to twist as if it's binding up somewhere.

1962larksedan
09-27-2011, 12:19 PM
A mid 74 Camaro cable should screw right on, its driveshaft is also a bolt in with the dana to GM U joint, and the gas pedal fits nice too!

Good tips but; I doubt the driveshaft will fit since my car since it is a Y body with its 113" wheelbase; the two door Lark types had the ca. 108" WB. And the Dana 27 is going bu-bye soon since i want a diff with ca. 3:00 gears and flanged axles.

1962larksedan
09-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Disconnected the cable @ the speedometer head; cable turns freely now so the problem is def in the head itself. Note too the pointer is askew, even with the head sitting in my hand out of the car.

RadioRoy
09-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Right where the cable attaches to the speedometer head, there is a tiny depression with a pinhole in the bottom of it. that is a oil hole. in recorded history, no one has ever put oil in that hole, but you can change that. When you replace the speedo, you can oil it and it will run smoother and quieter than ever.

1962larksedan
10-02-2011, 11:39 PM
I said the heck with it: picked up a NOS 1962 speedo head from Chuck at Studebakerparts.com here in the Phx area. Come to find out: the head in my 1962 Lark may be incorrect; it has a white face with 5 MPH graduations whereas my new one is black face with 1 MPH marks. Note it does not say 'Police Certified' or anything like that.

Warren Webb
10-03-2011, 12:20 AM
The white face is on the basic line car while the black face was used on Daytona & Crusier (deluxe) models.