Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Lark front end clip

1963 Lark Custom 2 door with post

Car is at the paint shop and doors and fenders were installed to check out the match-up prior to paint. Car will be painted with everything apart. Currently hood is not matching up to the front nose. It is about a half inch to three quarters of an inch off. Only thing I can think of is that the nose needs to be lifted and shims need to be used on the back of the front fenders next to the cowl/firewall. Does anyone have experience with this that could offer some input? In the factory typically how many shims/spacers were used? Any input on setting this front end up properly would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

The factory used 1/8 inch to 3/16 inch rubber gaskets between the fender and body, if it needs more length than that, something must be bent/distorted or assembled incorrectly.

Check the fit of the "baffles" behind the head lights, if those have been incorrectly welded into the inner fenders from a collision repair, the fenders and front panel will never fit to the hood since they locate the front clip to the radiator support and frame.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich thank you very much for your input.

Has anyone ever put together a tutorial with pics on how to put one of these front end clips on a Lark. It is tougher than one thinks.

Comment

I recently did a 62 Daytona, here's how I fitted the front end:

install the hood and fit to the cowl
        fit the fenders to the doors and hood
        install the nose panel and fit the hood and fenders to make the gaps correct

once the hood is fitted to the cowl, then fit the rest of the front end to the hood!

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
          I recently did a 62 Daytona, here's how I fitted the front end:

install the hood and fit to the cowl
          fit the fenders to the doors and hood
          install the nose panel and fit the hood and fenders to make the gaps correct

once the hood is fitted to the cowl, then fit the rest of the front end to the hood!

Jim
          I have done this more times than I can remember. (At least 3 or 4 ...getting to that age!)

The above sequence is what I use and has been confirmed by others with much more experience than me.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I used that sequence, but the car had been hit. The hood wasn't square! Measure the hood on both diagonals to make sure it is square before starting your lining up. My good ol boy was trimming fenders to mate it to a wonky hood. Good luck!
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
            X