T cab axle swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T cab axle swap?

Has anyone done a rear axle swap on a T-Cab truck? (1963)
    I thought I read somewhere that a specific model and year Chevy rear axle would fit under a T-Cab.
    But upon searching I couldn't find it.
    I would like to know more info if anyone has done this.

Thanks,
    George King
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Chevy axles are the C-clip type axles with inferior wheel bearings, so I don't know why you would change. A 9" Ford axle would be a much better choice.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Impossible to answer because you didn't tell us which T-cab you own.

Second, the Dana 44 in the 1/2t and the Dana 60 in the 3/4t have been the industry standard in trucks for fifty years and still being used today. They are among the strongest and most widely available rear axles every made. What, specifically, makes it necessary to change from what Stude put in there?

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

1964-72 Ford truck.

Comment

Ok, I forgot to say the truck is a 1963 T-Cab 1/2 ton.
          The reason for the question is it no longer has the factory installed rear end in it.
          I thought I had read a thread on here about the installation of a GM truck unit that was "almost" a bolt in.
          And to reply to Gord, I respect your knowledge, and the stuff you are able to do. But I have had and used the "inferior" c/clip Gm rear ends with no problem. The last truck was a Chevy 1979 1/2 ton that I put over 225,000 miles on it. But, i did maintain the truck, changed fluid, lubed etc. Still had the original wheel bearing and axles (still in good shape) when I sold it
          I have also drag-raced 67-69 Camaros, and my big-block Chevelle with no breakage. I guess I was lucky.
          The ford nine inch is a tough unit, and around here very pricey. Thank you Alan for the pic's. Nice set up. A little over kill for what I'm trying to do, but Thank you.
          With that said, I'll continue researching what I can find.
          George King
          Grants Pass, Oregon
          64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Working...
          X