33 Studebaker Truck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 33 Studebaker Truck.

Can anyone give me any insite on this truck? It runs and is complete! We have found little information and need to know if it is worth the restoration? It is really rare or not very collectable.

Any info would be appriciated!

Bill Reuter
    Owatonna, MN
    Attached Files

Restore it . ! ? . . . Looks fine the way it is . . Just git it running and driveable ....................... eh , just my opinion ..

Comment

Agree with Andrew. I have no idea what it's restored value would be but, if you are speculating, I doubt the investment would be worth the return.
      Restoring all systems to function and cleaning away decades of dirt will yield a jewel, a survivor worthy of your efforts.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

It is rare, but rarity does not necessarily correlate to value. Look at the value of most 1957 Chevrolets that they made millions of versus a 1958 Packard hardtop that they made 675 of.

Some vehicles are restored due to sentimental value, etc., rather than for monetary means.

You will not recover the expensive of having a restoration done on this truck. If you just want to do it or have it done, fine, just don't expect to make money on it.

I recommend doing enough work on it to make it reliable and safe and then just enjoy it.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I was always under the impression that the first trucks made by Studebaker were the Coupe Expresses, but I guess I am wrong, unless your truck is converted from a car body. Regardless, your photos show an awesome truck, factory or not, I'd love to own something like that! Junior.
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

A true antique, and in very good condition for its age. 'Survivor' vehicles like this are becoming like old furniture, the natural 'patina' of years is actually becoming a desirable trait on really old old items like this.
            Just like a fine piece of early furniture, an expensive restoration may actually eventually end up in reducing both its desirability and value to many potential buyers.
            You cannot lose by simply cleaning it up, and doing any needed repairs, being careful to employ only period correct materials. Best to simply enjoy it for what it is, a neat old timey truck in well preserved condition.

Comment

I dug in to some books and that truck looks like a 1931. The 33 had a more rounded radiator.

Comment

Yes, it's rare. Probably at least ten times rarer than an equivalent Ford truck. More valuable? Not necessarily. In this case the supply and demand equation is not balanced. But that is the market. But many people here would love to have it. But they'd love to have more money, too.
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Only original once. Would be much more fun to drive around spareingly and take to car and truck shows as is. No rubbin or wipin or polsihin to get ready for judgein. Drive it to a spot, break out the lawn chairs and enjoy. Won't have to worry if yourns is better than the next fella's truck. Judgein and points is for uppities anyway.
                  Kim

Comment

I agree with Gary. Clean it up, get it running, and enjoy it the way it is. It's Studebaker's first "real" truck, a 1931-33 S series with a ~70 hp Studebaker 6. Displacement was either 205 or 230 ci, depending on year. Wheelbases available were 130 to 160" and tonnages ranged from 1.5 to 3 tons.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Just for the sake of being a contrarian (Studebaker personality)...I would argue that Studebaker was into trucks long before passenger cars or the automobile. Their very first vehicles (farm wagons) were the essence of what defines a truck. Those roots run deep.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I would doubt it is a 1933 - I believe it is earlier than that. Pierce (as in Pierce Arrow) built trucks that looked a lot like this - and Studebaker OWNED Pierce from 1928 to 1933. It could bew a Pierce, badged and sold as a Studebaker.

Studebaker built wagons as stated earlier - the beginning of the farm 'truck'. The early electrics were also built as commercial vehicles (trucks). The Coupe Express was Studebaker's FIRST Pick-up truck. Probably should say Studebaker's FIRST Factory produced pick-up truck. Trucks were part of Studebaker long before the Coupe Express.

Comment

I think this is a "S" series truck. I know of the wear-abouts of one in a 'yard (it was still there about 4-5yrs ago last I was there but had been rudely moved). The cabs are wood. There was a TW article a few years ago on prewar trucks with several photos of these. The strip on the side of the hood should say STUDEBAKER. There may also be another similar plaque on the rear of the rear frame cross member. Does it have "S" hubcaps?

Jeff in ND

Comment

Working...
                          X