Brake pull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Brake pull

Hi ya'll..last weekend we took our Hawk to Denison Texas for the Kustom Kings car show. On the way, I thought I smelled something funny, then all of a sudden my brakes started pulling HARD left on application. We had a chance to pull the drums yesterday, my buddy Chris Wade and I were both thinking bad spring or hardware, or maybe a leaking grease seal on the pulling side, but we found nothing. Nicht, nada, nyet, zero. Brake shoes in place, no signs of any leakage, no hardware or springs out of place. We jacked up the front end, put her on jackstands, spun the front wheels and then applied the brakes, and the left locks up waaaayyy before the right apples.
    Here's the car's setup. Shoes, drums, wheel cylinders, hoses and some of the tubing was replaced last year..the tubing that's original was cleaned thoroughly. However, Chris is thinking that there's a little rust or debris lodged in the tubing on the right side, making it slower to apply than the left. Also, I just recently replaced the stoplight switch, wondering if I got some debris in the system...
    Any ideas/help appreciated.
    Cash

Good chance it's a bad left brake hose. Just because it's new doesn't mean anything. NEW means Never Ever Worked.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Cash,
      How old are the brake hoses? They could be acting as a one way valve, leaving pressure in that side of the system. Brake hose's are now dated, and Raybestes "recommends" replacement every 3-5 years! (I read that as to we need to sell more parts) but, on our cars, who can tell how old their hoses are?

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

Did you check the right wheel cylinder and lining? If it is not working, it will pull Left.

Comment

About the only thing we can think of besides trash in the lines might be a bad hose. We replaced all hoses last year, with hoses from NAPA, as I trust NAPA and O'Reilly the best as far as local aftermarket parts. Hopefully we can get her up in the air next Sunday.

Comment

Check the right front wheel cylinder to make sure its not gummed up; it may be that the left side is the only one applying. Also, make sure both sides are adjusted the same.
            Joe

Comment

Working...
            X