Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke With Class

Noticed this this morning

Sly Stone in ’74. (Getty Images)”I like my small camper. I just do not want to return to a fixed home … I must keep moving,” Stone says. (John Chapple)In his heyday, he live…

Apparently you can give up almost everything but not your Studebaker.

Hope thing go well for him.
    Bill Foy
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    1953 Starlight Coupe

Having read the story, can you imagine the Studebaker collection he would have amassed had he spent every dollar that went to drugs, on Studebakers? Geeze, he'd probably come close to buying the entire Australian Studebaker Distributorship...no, wait; Brian Greenall already claimed that! <GGG> BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Another sad story of great talent lost to drugs. Always liked his music but was among the many disappointed at one of his performances.

Pat
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Broke with Class...with that header I thought this was about restoring Avantis.
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

"Ah, if only I'd wised up earlier, and spent all that Studebaker money on drugs..."
          I'm sure someone has said that (or a wife, le'ts say, wished someone had.)

I don't approve, but I understand.
          And so I will say four little words, that have applied to so many others;
          it ill behooves us to judge him, gentlemen:

He drives
          A Studebaker.

Comment

Someone should drive the area and see if they can find that Bum and his Studebaker . . . And if he still has the Stude have him join the club !

Comment

Bill, your title was an eyecatcher. When I read about him spending his young son's $2500 Christmas present money on dope- and then telling him so- thinking again about your title made me laugh

FWIW, that 'van' he's living in is a $90K Roadtrek motor home. I'd love to have one but can't afford it. Maybe if I follow his example...
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                Bill, your title was an eyecatcher. When I read about him spending his young son's $2500 Christmas present money on dope- and then telling him so- thinking again about your title made me laugh

FWIW, that 'van' he's living in is a $90K Roadtrek motor home. I'd love to have one but can't afford it. Maybe if I follow his example...
                Ain't no $90K motor home, no more, it ain't. You can bet on that...

Yeah, let's get him to join. We could pay him to perform at the next Int'l meet. Uh, never mind.
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

It's really a sad thing. The guy had real talent. The funk movement of the 70s was built on his back, and James Brown's back. But unlike Brown, Sly couldn't deal with the success and crawled into a silver spoon for the next three decades. Some people just can't handle success.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post

I want one (the Sprinter diesel version) too but can't find one in my price range...

Remember the rumor in the 70s that he was having an affair with Doris Day (really)?
                    She denied it in her book....but didn't shoot down the rumors at the time because she was in another relationship she wanted to keep quiet.
                    Last edited by JBOYLE; 09-25-2011, 08:09 PM.
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                    X