Relacement Rims for a 56 Transtar 1 ton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Relacement Rims for a 56 Transtar 1 ton

Is there any bolt on 1 ton rims available......it's a dually & they're 16", 6 bolt stock '56 split rims?

The silence is deafening, isn't it? I don't think anyone is ignoring you, but there are no more Budd Wheel Trees left!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have a 3/4 ton truck with those two piece rims. I have been wondering the same about replacement wheels. I have seen some six lug 16" rims on equipment trailers and other vehicles like horse and stock trailers. These are high-speed applications that might work on our trucks if the bolt pattern is right. I just have not taken the time to investigate further.

If any of you have the time, resources, and opportunity to look into it...please do so and get back to us on the forum. The wheels would not look the same or the best on our trucks, but sometimes function over form is better than nothing. I would appreciate an acceptable alternative and I am sure others would as well.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

As John Clary notes, replacement wheels are hard to find. The mid-50s were when more modern, one-piece wheels became available for medium-duty trucks, and these wheels were only available for a few years. You might try the search function both here and the Stude truck forum:
        Tapatalk the world's leading mobile platform for building great communities online

This subject has been discussed several times on the truck forum, but no easy solutions have emerged. These wheels were used on a few other makes of trucks around the same time, but that increases both supply and demand.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

I just have not taken the time to investigate further.
          I have taken the time to investigate further:

Yes, Budd-style 16", 17.5" and 19.5" 6-bolt one-piece wheels for dual wheel trucks do exist. They are a wider rim width and thus a much larger offset than those which came on '49-55 Studebakers. They are most often found on Dodge-based motor homes and box vans.

No, I've never found any one-piece 16" Budd wheels for single axle trucks.

Maybe, I just don't find it necessary to change, as I've used the two-piece wheels with solid rings for fifty years with absolutely no problems.

Your truck, your money, your decision.
          PackardV8

Comment

Thanks all who rerplied....I've been told old Dodge motor homes from the seventies used the same bolt pattern but try to find them.I'll stick to the old splits which are in great shape unless I come across something better.

Comment

Working...
            X