engine size and truck update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine size and truck update

I found out thru another thread where to look for my engine number. I want to see if you guys can ID it. On left front corner of the block next to the filler neck just right of the valve cover has a cast in looking plate. The plate looks like it has a molded in straight screw head the there is what looks like an F but there is a ding or indent at the lower - where it connects to the l..So assuming that is an F or similar marking it looks like this *F 3 24* the asterics replace the screw heads { I know they are not actually screws, but they look like screws in the casting}. What do I have?

Also I removed the valve covers and engine has a good bit of sludge in the valve train. The good part about that is there is NO rust or corroding anywhere in the motor that I can find.

I tried to turn the starter over by jumping directly to the starter with a fresh battery and jumper cables. It would not crank at first, but after hitting the connection on and off a few times it started to spin but it would not throw out the bendix gear.
    I pulled the starter and opened it up and it had all kinds of debris in it, Im hoping it was just shorting from the crud. I cleaned all contacts and armatures with some sand paper and blew out all of the debris. I still have to test it, it got dark

You found the casting date code. F324 translates to 1952, March 24th. This is (unless modified) a 232 c.i. engine. 1951-52 are the only years the date code was in that location. All others have it at the rear, next to the distributor.
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Dwain, thanx for the info. I will check the rear numbers tomorrow and post them then.
      Side note: Are those your westies in that pic? We have a 3 yr old westie named Maddie. She is awesome. Great dog, right up until she she some small creature in the back yard....then we cant even get her to come in all night long. She does NOT like opossums!!

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
        Dwain, thanx for the info. I will check the rear numbers tomorrow and post them then.
        Side note: Are those your westies in that pic? We have a 3 yr old westie named Maddie. She is awesome. Great dog, right up until she she some small creature in the back yard....then we cant even get her to come in all night long. She does NOT like opossums!!
        The numbers you should find should be between V123001 and V207001.
        Hello Maddie! Yes, we take rescue Westies. Four of them right now, and a mixed breed too. Most of ours are hard to adopt older dogs or ones with special needs. We don't have possums, but there are a few raccoons around, and a lot of squirrels, so I know what you mean about having a hard time getting them back in the house. What I don't get is that here is a dog that was bred to go to ground and hunt rodents, yet now when it's raining they have to be pushed out the door!
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Hahaha, That is funny Dwain, My Maddie hates the rain to and she hates to be splashed with our pool water too, but oddly enough when it is really hot she likes to swim in the pool. We will be swimming and she comes to the edge of the pool and puts her paw out like she is shaking. We can tell how hot she is by how many circle laps she does before heading for the steps.

Comment

Working...
          X