PDA

View Full Version : Boy, y'all weren't kiddin'...

dnevin
09-24-2011, 07:07 PM
..about the casting sand in the water jackets. I pulled the freeze plugs out of my 289 block today and it was seemed like it was almost solid with sand.

And this was an engine that has at least been gone through once (the pistons are marked 30 over.)

Thanks to all, cause without this forum there's a chance that I wouldn't have bothered to pop the plugs as they looked recent. Looks like I'll be spending some time with a coat hanger and the garden hose in the near future.

Chucks Stude
09-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Wear throw away clothes, and swim goggles. It does help them run cooler. Also, pull the rear drain plugs, and clean behind them.

mbstude
09-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Swim goggles. I knew I was missing something!!

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/tallahassee/tallahassee3009.jpg

Studedude
09-24-2011, 08:45 PM
Swim goggles. I knew I was missing something!!
"Not enough sense...." -

52 Ragtop
09-24-2011, 09:00 PM
I used a "few" brass fittings, and made up an adapter to fit into the block where the drain plug goes, I usually flush it out every other year.

Jim

gordr
09-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Best time to do this chore is when you have the block stripped for an overhaul. Knock out the frost plugs, and take the block to a coin-op car wash with the pressure washer wands. Spend another buck to spray down the wash bay to keep the management happy.

Studedude
09-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Spend another buck to spray down the wash bay to keep the management happy.
Proof once again that decent folks are out there, and Gord is one of 'em!

rockne10
09-24-2011, 09:56 PM
After I had my 289 block cooked I used long screw drivers and chisels; pretty dry operation. That casting sand is in there hard and won't be excised by mere poking with a coat hanger and flushing. If they worked okay from the factory the way they were delivered, you obviously don't need to be as neurotic as I was. I just had nothing better to do at the moment.

Chucks Stude
09-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Better than a bent coat hanger, is this combination water jacket pic, and cat whisker remover. Got it at Home Depot, the tool, not the helper. She was found in the middle of the street.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc42/Dragasaurus/Family%20Pictures/DSC02204.jpg

ROADRACELARK
09-25-2011, 10:22 AM
What I've found that works great is the 1/8" copper tubing with a female garden hose fitting soldered on the end. These were commonly used for ice makers on refrigerators. Using a length about 24", you can form the other end at a right angle. Really makes it easier to get up inside the water jackets than with a standard hose nozzle. You are right....one more very messy job. Matthew has the right idea. Hope this helps. OBTW, I've found as much as 2 bottles of good old Bars-Leak stop leak pellets out of one engine. As Chuck says, it does make one run much cooler with all that c**p out!

Dan Miller
Auburn, GA

jackb
09-25-2011, 11:54 AM
This thread and some pics are just whats needed when the next poster is stymied at an engine running hot after putting in a 4-row radiator, water wetter, new hoses, 120 stat, electric fan, new pump, etc, etc.......Again: I've never had a Stude V8 run hotter than 180 with a well cleaned block !!

dnevin
09-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Thanks all--nice tips for getting that out of there. I'll let you know how it goes. The block is on a stand, so easy to get at now.

I was so filthy by the time I got to the plugs that I was afraid to grab my camera to take pics!

FlatheadGeo
09-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Cute Beagle!!!!!