PDA

View Full Version : Avanti on EBAY!!

StudeMichael
09-24-2011, 02:50 PM
This is a deal!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-Avanti-R2-63-Studebaker-Avanti-/150667129428?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item231475f254

JDP
09-24-2011, 03:10 PM
This is a deal!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-Avanti-R2-63-Studebaker-Avanti-/150667129428?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item231475f254

If it had a Avanti engine, I'd buy it to part out, but the R2 engine is about four thousand dollars worth of the parts value. Without the engine, I'd be lucky to net the 4K back it would cost to buy it and ship it here.

StudeMichael
09-24-2011, 09:29 PM
Now the $2,500.00 buy it now is gone. Will be interesting to see what she brings as is.

ST2DE5
09-24-2011, 09:42 PM
My 392 and 727 would fit in there real easy.

studefan
09-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Wonder why no pictures of the dash.

Milaca
09-24-2011, 10:19 PM
I sent the guy a message asking if I could come and look at it tomorrow, but I haven't heard back yet.

stripnzinc
09-25-2011, 01:15 AM
Every time a good deal on a Avanti pops up I dont have the money.. Wish he would trade for my 58 hawk haaaa..

JDP
09-25-2011, 03:18 AM
Every time a good deal on a Avanti pops up I dont have the money.. Wish he would trade for my 58 hawk haaaa..

You are not missing a good deal if you intend to restore it. I'd pass on in free in my driveway if I had to make it into even a decent driver.

doug
09-25-2011, 04:22 AM
I'm parting out an Avanti II that is in better shape than that one.

JDP
09-25-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm parting out an Avanti II that is in better shape than that one.

Everyone needs to buy and restore at least one cheap Avanti, it builds character and teaches patience. If you bought and restored the ebay Avanti, you'd be one of the most dedicated and broke hobbyists ever.

gordr
09-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Well, the seller gives a pretty fair description, as far as I can tell. Sounds a lot like the one I bought from Bob Peterson a couple of years ago, except that car drove onto the trailer. Same deal, 259 swapped in, which for my purposes, is OK. Maybe a better body, but a lot worse in the frame. If it were close to me, and had a title, I'd bid on it as a parts car, but lack of title makes exporting it from the USA problematic, to say the least.

stripnzinc
09-26-2011, 03:08 AM
You are not missing a good deal if you intend to restore it. I'd pass on in free in my driveway if I had to make it into even a decent driver.

Ya I guess but ive always wanted one and cant ever find one. I also would like this one to just get running and make a town cruiser out of it just as a starter. If anyone has a fixer upper they would trade for a driver 58 silver hawk let me know.

Milaca
09-27-2011, 11:45 PM
I looked at this Avanti today and found the owner's Ebay description to be accurate. The fiberglass looks good but the frame and other steel components have lots of rust due to having been stored in a wet/damp barn for many years. The bottom plate of the frame in the wheel-well area is rusted through. The owner bought this car in 1965 in California and brought it with when he moved to Minnesota but never drove it in the winter but placed it in barn storage about 20+ years ago which is when the rust developed. The 259 was installed back in the 1970's if I recall correctly but has not been run since being placed into storage years ago. I dont know if the engine is loose or not. It was originally gold and has it's original perforated orange vinyl seats. The guy seems very honest and I suggest you contact him if you have any questions. I'm undecided about bidding on it, I'll likely wait until the last few hours of the auction before deciding what it's worth to me.

JDP
09-28-2011, 12:08 AM
I looked at this Avanti today and found the owner's Ebay description to be accurate. The fiberglass looks good but the frame and other steel components have lots of rust due to having been stored in a wet/damp barn for many years. The bottom plate of the frame in the wheel-well area is rusted through. The owner bought this car in 1965 in California and brought it with when he moved to Minnesota but never drove it in the winter but placed it in barn storage about 20+ years ago which is when the rust developed. The 259 was installed back in the 1970's if I recall correctly but has not been run since being placed into storage years ago. I dont know if the engine is loose or not. It was originally gold and has it's original perforated orange vinyl seats. The guy seems very honest and I suggest you contact him if you have any questions. I'm undecided about bidding on it, I'll likely wait until the last few hours of the auction before deciding what it's worth to me.

I'll make you a deal if you end up with it. I have a new set of pleated orange covers (F & R) that were returned because they were a shade off. The fact that no one makes the dead nuts on color anymore did not phase my customer. Normally $650 set, $350 to your door.

sweetolbob
09-28-2011, 08:17 AM

Brent

If the rust is confined to the lower plate it's not a bad repair. If the hat portion is compromised then the degree of difficulty increases markedly.

If you do buy it, I'll be happy to send you some shots of the 74 I'm working on with some of the same issues and compare notes on what I did.

Good luck, Bob

JDP
09-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Brent

If the rust is confined to the lower plate it's not a bad repair. If the hat portion is compromised then the degree of difficulty increases markedly.

If you do buy it, I'll be happy to send you some shots of the 74 I'm working on with some of the same issues and compare notes on what I did.

Good luck, Bob

If the lower frame rail is rusted, it's likely the hog troughs are too. If they are, pull the body to do the troughs and the frame repair will be fairly easy job, maybe 50-60 hours total labor to do both. The main problem is the slippery slope issue. i.e. the body is off, why not do the suspension and drive line. I've bought more than a few that got far and the owner quit after realizing how far he had to go.

Having said that, it's might be a good entry level project Avanti if you don't have the up front cash to buy a nicer example even though you'll pay way more in the end. Just recognize up front that it's going be a labor of love and stick to it once you start or someone like me will end up with it in a 100 little boxes. The best example I can think of is the car I sold Bob, the PO was 21K in and I bought the car for 3K, put maybe one or two in and a lot of labor, and sold it to Bob., and that car had a good frame and troughs and was a driver.

Milaca
10-01-2011, 12:00 PM
With an hour to go til auction's end, I bid the Avanti up to $1801. I've been outbid as somebody else wants it more than I do. Someday a better Avanti will come along at a fair price and then maybe I will be an Avanti owner. :)

UPDATE: Sold for $1826

61Lark
10-01-2011, 01:31 PM
I'd say an Avanti better than that one comes along every week.

With an hour to go til auction's end, I bid the Avanti up to $1801. I've been outbid as somebody else wants it more than I do. Someday a better Avanti will come along at a fair price and then maybe I will be an Avanti owner. :)

UPDATE: Sold for $1826

sweetolbob
10-01-2011, 01:50 PM
I'd say an Avanti better than that one comes along every week.

True, but I'll bet not for under $2000. Still would have been a challenge but as JDP says, No better way to build character and learn patience.

Bob