Trans update and question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans update and question.

So as some of you know I am trying to systematically sort thru what pieces are ultimately useable and what are junk on my '52 2R10. The rear end seemed to check out very good and with some easy brake pieces the entire rear will be sound and good.

Friday I bagan an inspection of the transmission. Starting with draining the oil to see if there still is any oil, and then if there was also water or not and finally if there seemed to be any chunky, gritty, metalic, or rusty material in it.

All is well. Oil came out clean and smooth with NO scary stuff. The oil was dirty enough that I am sure it is old and used but clean enough to be confident that the innerds are good. It went thru the gears just fine and seemed to be in good order.

2 questions though just to verify some oddities. There is a solenoid looking unit on the drivers side of the trans pointing slight upward, maybe 30-40 degrees upward about 3/4 of the way back on the trans. It has 2 wires going to it. The module or solenoid or switch, whatever it is, is about 2-3 inches in diameter and 3-4 inches long. What is this?

Second question, in nuetral the drive shaft rotates freely in both directions. In reverse the drive shaft is solid feeling and other than the slight slop that is normal, will not turn at all, I believe that is perfect.

My head scratching moment is that when in 1st - 3rd gears the drive shaft is lock solid in one direction, but freely rotates the other way.....how is that possible, and is that normal?

Side note, the drive shaft also check out great. There is only the center u-joint that has ANY play at all and even that is useable feeling to me, at least for now and with a little greasing. This think seems to be really checking out well so far, Im getting excited that it could be driveable fairly quickly and affordably.

Overdrives have a governor, which tells the solenoid the driveline is rotating fast enough to engage overdrive. The solenoid then can be activated to engage the overdrive. There is a relay, a kickdown switch and the in-out lever, cable and handle.

My head scratching moment is that when in 1st - 3rd gears the drive shaft is lock solid in one direction, but freely rotates the other way.....how is that possible, and is that normal?
    Yes, when the overdrive handle is in, the transmission will freewheel in the forward gears up to the 25-30 MPH overdrive engagement point. In any of the three gears, if the governor hasn't signaled the overdrive to engage, when the throttle is released, the vehicle will coast freely back to idle speed with no compression braking. A little strange at first, but becomes normal once you get used to it. When at higher speeds with the overdrive engaged, releasing the throttle provides compression braking down to the 25-30 MPH overdrive disengagement point, where it freewheels again.

Bottom line - you really, really, gotta get a Shop Manual and read through this section. When working properly, the overdrive transforms the truck into usable highway transportation.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Borg Warner R-10 & R-11 Overdrives

Also, it is the consensus of opinions here, that the best way to fill this Borg Warner T-90 (for 6 Cyl.) or: T-86 or T-85/T-89 Overdrive tranny, (whichever) is the following:

1. Purchase the NAPA 65-201 (1 Gallon) of GL-1, 90 Wt. straight Mineral Gear Oil.

2. Fill the rear (Overdrive) case first (fill plug on passenger side, half way up the case).

3. Then fill the main case in the same manner.

4. Have the Truck level and leave both plugs out until the level has equalized in both cases with a drip pan under the Trans.

5. Then install both fill plugs snugly, and check the Drain plugs.

Also note that the O.D. shift cable and lever is on the left side of the O.D. case behind the Trans. shift levers, and "FORWARD" is "OUT" of O.D. and all the way to the rear is "IN" Overdrive.
      Your cable may or may not be free to move, needing lubrication, straighting or replacement, so you may have to disconnect it to manually shift the O.D.

Happy Overdriving!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Manual is actually on order.

Very cool news that the truck is an over drive. Let me just ask a question then. The overdrive is cable and electrically activated, so is that actually a 4th gear on top of the 3 you shift with the column shifter, OR is it more of a gear vendor where it splits each gear?

Comment

The overdrive unit sits behind the three speed transmission. When all is working right, if you can wind up the engine high enough in first, you can shift into overdrive there, Shift into second and floor it, shifting out of overdrive, wind it up again, shift into OD, shift into third, floor it and drop out, wind it up and let it shift into OD. Figuratively six forward gears, but that first gear shift is a bear. I did it once in traffic when my '53 got stuck in first gear. I could drive at 30 in first OD without screaming.

Unfortunately you can't use this for racing, the OD shift is a time killer, it wants to shift at its own speed.

Comment

Overdrive usage

For "Normal" use driving it is way easier than Tom tells you, explaining how to get all 6 ratios. It will usually get 4 Ratios.

You just drive normally starting in low then you can release the gas pedal momentarily after shifting to EITHER 2nd. or later in 3rd. to shift to Overdrive.

You do not normally ever use the "T" handle shift lever when moving.
            The only time that should be necessary is when approaching a steep hilltop in O.D. when you will want to floor it to go into direct gear Hi, then pull the handle out so, without shifting it you have locked it in direct drive for the downhill side for deceleration.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank you for the education folks!
              I am so excited to get this thing running and drive it. The T handle for the OD does work, I need to clean the cable up a bit and lube it. The placement of the T handle seem a bit out of place. Is the original location of the T handle in the upper left hand corner of the right dash grill area, that ribbed panel?

Does anyone know of a good brake supplier, I need wheel cylinders and spring/hardware kits. I wouldn't mind front shoes as well. ???

Comment

Those two panels in the center of the dash are knock-out panels for the Radio and Heater, the O.D. handle belongs on the far Left near the Headlight Switch. The Overdrive must have been added.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Might have been added, but all of the mounts and shift linkage look original. Maybe the transmissions interchange and fit on OE mounting points. The engine mounts for the V8 conversion were botched a bit. Useable, but kinda ugly. Cut out with a cutting torch and welded in ugly.

So why is the V8 so far forward in my truck? Any ideas? The trans looks to be OE position and it had a straight 6 in it which should be longer than a v8, but this v8 hangs way out forward. They even had to move the radiator out in front of the stock core support to clear a short fan. Something is definately odd in here.

Comment

That is most likely because they did not get the front and rear engine mount BRACKETS from a V-8 Truck, they bolt into the frame in front and thru the engine mounts in the rear.

The Studebaker Truck Parts Catalog will show you the correct parts and location, if it is '54 for big trucks or '55 and on for light Trucks. Get the CD cheap.
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, where do I get that CD?

Comment

Kelly, PM sent to your private messages. The clickdown is at the top of the page.
                        (S) is my Son Mike, who posted the list of a few of the ebay parts on another post that we have running this week.
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          That is most likely because they did not get the front and rear engine mount BRACKETS from a V-8 Truck, they bolt into the frame in front and thru the engine mounts in the rear.

The Studebaker Truck Parts Catalog will show you the correct parts and location, if it is '54 for big trucks or '55 and on for light Trucks. Get the CD cheap.
                          So Rich {or anyone} If they used the wrong brackets, I dont understand how the shorter V8 would be farther forward than the L6 motor?

The reason I ask is that I was under the truck today and the trans mount look all OE to me. I cant see any alterations to the driveline at all. The drive shaft looks OE, the trans cross member looks like it is riveted to the frame in the original position and the trans mount looks OE. It seems to me, and of course correct me if I am not seeing this correctly, that the trans would be too far back for the distributor and the firewall to interfer. So how did the trans end up more forward? The trans crossmember is right behind the bell housing, I dont see how it could go farther back unless the OE rivets were cut out and a curved crossmember installed?

On a side note, I had my daughter actuate the clutch while I was under the truck to see how everything moves, and it moves smoothly and seems all in good order, then I had her put it in gear and I rotated the driveshaft while she actuated the clutch and the shaft turned freely while she had the clutch depressed and locked up solidly when she let it out, so the clutch seems in good order too. More good news.

Comment

Working...
                          X