PDA

View Full Version : 1951 Studebaker Tracing

T-CAB
09-23-2011, 09:02 PM
I have been asked to appraise a 1951 Studebaker Champion Regal. The car is registering only 13,760 miles and the owner has it listed as a low mileage original car with an asking price of $25,000. I don't think it is so original, but before I upset the owner I would like to make sure I am right. The current colour is black, but the door jams are gray. The carpet is house carpet. The windlace is the generic style that is currently available. The block is light blue (fresh paint) with a black head. It was loaded with accessories - gas door guard, cloth, radio, roll-up antena and stainless steel gravel shields (I thought that Champs only had rubber). The car has a dealer decal around the trunk handle that reads "COVERT'S GARAGE NESHANIC STA . NJ."

The car was in storage for many years, but was at the 1984, 1986 and 1988 International meets according to dash plaques. The meet issue from 1988 has a Don and Dawn Denman with a dark 1951. Could it have been their's.

If anyone knows the history of this car I would appreciate it.

Thanks

T-cab

mbstude
09-23-2011, 09:10 PM
Certainly not original.. Door jambs should be body color. Engine block and head should be green. A Regal would have had stainless gravel guards.

T-CAB
09-23-2011, 10:19 PM
11344 This is the rear seat upolstery. I don't think it is orginal '51 - close but not exactly as shown in the sales brochure. What do you think

T-cab

T-CAB
09-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Here is a picture of the emblem on the trunk lid. Someone must know the history of this car.

T-cab

52-fan
09-24-2011, 10:31 AM
The doors closed repaint in a different color would certainly hurt the value of an original car. The seats look nice and period correct, but I am no expert on the exact pattern. Does the car have carpet in the front? Champions usually have a rubber mat across the front. I think the owner is going to be disappointed on the value.

T-CAB
09-24-2011, 11:30 PM
The car had "house carpet" on both front and rear floors. I am 99% sure the car does not have 13,500 miles, but I would sure like to contact someone who knows the history of the work that had been carried out. The fact that there was a loose piece of the seat upholstry lying on the package tray pretty well ensures that it was not factory seats covers.

The owner seems to have made up his mind it is a few mileage original and unless I can 100% prove it is not he will likely continue to advertise it as such.

T-cab

kurtruk
09-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Wouldn't be suprised if that dealer tag sold on ebay in the last year or two. Or one like it.

Henry Votel
09-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Without a 100,000 odometer wheel the mileage shown is no help. But mathematically 13760/60 years is 230 miles a year, (1 tank of gas). Even if you say driven 10 years that's only 1,376 a year, (6 tanks of gas). While possible; it's not likely without a tantamount pile of evidence like receipts, oil change records, repair orders, news articles, etc.

I'd look for 'Tells' that show wear and tear. Shine a light over the windshield...sandblasted or perfect?, miles show up in sandblasted windshields, Brake and clutch pads worn?, how perfect is the under carriage? evidence of replaced from end parts?

Why do you have to prove the low milage? Isn't that the owners responsibility? If you are appraising you can take the position that without any evidence to the contrary the milage is 113,760+. You are appraising what you see, not what you are being told.

You are not saying is this car is "really perfect" all around so I cannot think of much more to offer. . . . .

Lastly a cryptic thought. How did it get to the Internationals?...that's a lot of probable miles on the road.

Henry Votel
Forest Lake, MN

jclary
09-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Back in the 80's there was a Don Denman who lived in Hendersonville, N.C. He had a '51 Studebaker sedan. If my memory serves me correctly, the car was used in the movie Dirty Dancing. I visited him several times back then and he was active in the N.C. Studebaker club for a while. We swapped some parts. In fact, somewhere in the bowels of my man cave is an old 6 cylinder engine he gave me.

However, I have not seen him in years. Could this be his old car? If so, I recall it being a nice driver but certainly not a low mileage original.

T-CAB
09-25-2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the responses. The tie rods were recently changed. From the underside it looks more tlike a 113,600 mile car. I think my client got taken. He should have called for an appraisal before accepting the story that it was a low mileage car - not after buying it!

T-cab

JDP
09-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the responses. The tie rods were recently changed. From the underside it looks more tlike a 113,600 mile car. I think my client got taken. He should have called for an appraisal before accepting the story that it was a low mileage car - not after buying it!

T-cab

Moot point, at 25K he overpaid even in the unlikely event the car was a low mileage example. I would think the highest price any 1950 4 door would bring is 12-15K on a good day. BTW, from just the two pictures it appears to be very nice indeed, maybe a 10K car even if the millage is wrong.

(S)
09-26-2011, 12:36 AM
On a very good day, a 51 Champion went for $21K on ebay It was in the 'hay day' and had fully documented 250 miles on the clock. The car ended up in WA and I did its first service work in all those years. Cars like this are pretty amazing to climb around in take a good look at. When you see one up close you'll know right away it is real!!