Front bushings squeak: Fix ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Front bushings squeak: Fix ?

Can you spray anything on the front suspension bushings to quiet down the squeaking short of replaceing ? Any possible damage ? They're old and cracked and the car is not worthy of fixing....it is a daily driver tho...

Try Ru-glyde from NAPA, if it's still available.

Comment

I actually silenced mine by loosening the bold that pinches the rubber bushing into place. Was that a bad idea? I don't know, but that darn squeaking was certainly tiring.

Any idea why Studebaker insisted that these bushings must not be lubricated? I'm thinking that their warning against lubrication was before silicone lubricants (lubricants that do not damage rubber) came into being.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

That's because the bushings are not supposed to move at all the bolts hold the steel inner sleeve to the cross shaft(s).
        The outer sleeve is pushed into the control arm. The only thing that is supposed to give is the twist of the rubber.
        If it is squeaking, it's because the rubber has separated from the steel, or it has squished out so much that the inner and outer sleeves rub each other. The worst part is that alignment cannot be maintained.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The squeaking is likely not coming from the inner rubber bushings. It is most likely coming from the outter, upper & lower pivot pins. Try greasing them with half dozen shots of grease each from a grease gun. You will likely find one or more of the eight grease zerts will not take grease, and those will be the squeakers. To get the stubborn ones to take grease, try loosening the pivot pin cap nut up about a half turn; grease while loose, then retighten.

Comment

Working...
          X