Heart transplant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Heart transplant

I'm in the process of taking my 6 Cly knocking engine out of my 65 Commander and want to put the v/8 from a 66 Cruiser, the commander has a 3 speed automatic original in very good shape, Can I use this trany, or is the V/8 trany stronger? My supplement book doesn't seem to address that question, as far as I can tell. Any help on this question would be appreciated.
    Evan Severson

Generally speaking, V-8 transmissions are built stronger than six cylinder transmissions. If you have more time/energy than money, you can bolt them up, drive the car easy, and see how well the transmission holds up during use.

Be aware that six cylinder cars are built with smaller brakes than eight cylinder cars are. You might want to change out the brakes, especially the front brakes.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

This a winter driver only, no hot roding, I'm under the impresion that it will bolt up, BUT-- is the V/8 trany a stronger built one? I'm told that they are different part #. but maybe if I drive easy it will be OK. Thanks for the repley.
      Evan Severson

Comment

Hi, Evan.

I'm pretty sure it will bolt up as-is. Is the main case of the transmission cast iron or aluminum? The Warner Gear Type 35 automatic had an aluminum case, but I believe it was used only behind the 1964 sixes, and the cast-iron Flightomatic used after that.

The six-cylinder Flighto might use a different torque converter, or have different shift points and use fewer discs in the clutch packs, but I'd hazard a guess it will hold up for the kind of driving you contemplate.

I have one or two '65-'66 Flightomatics in my stash; they use a kickdown cable instead of a linkage rod, so they are easy to recognize. Likely, the Warner Gear model label could be used to determine if they are V8 or six units.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Since its out on the road, I'm using it to drive back & forth to work I cant get under enough to tel Cast Iron or aluminum, under the hood I see rods from the carb going back under, so maybe the 6, It will be just a winter driver and not a lot of hard driving, hoping to take it to the annual B.C. meeting in Dec. as I do go their for the past six years but never with a Stude. this would be a first for it, Ford Ranger , HHR, but a good car would be fun , maybe not as much as the Hawk but for winter, I settle for something close. I've been told before that I'm crazy, maybe time will tell. The attached picture is the one ,I had it to the Threshing Bee in Moose Jaw Sept 10th 2011 , drive your Stude Day.
          Attached Files
          Evan Severson

Comment

Nice Looking car!
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
            X