PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: 1955 Speedster DG250 seals, AC install and parts wanted

5brown1
09-22-2011, 08:58 AM
My transmission is leaking badly (from the front it appears) when the engine is running. I haven't driven it yet but believe it is functioning otherwise. I plan on removing it and the engine for cleanup and leak repair. I have searched and can't find information on replacing the seals in the transmission. Need some help here.
I'm planning on eventually adding AC but the engine compartment is rather full with the power steering unit. Any suggestion on how to do would be appreciated.
I also am looking for a few parts. I would like to find an undamaged grill suitable for rechroming or better yet one not needing chrome. A left side tail light housing and lens. A back up light lens. A couple window crank handles and one escutcheon. A full horn ring. A plastic dashboard with no cracks.
Thanks

len
09-22-2011, 09:57 AM
The 1955 service manual has a lot of info on the DG 250 trans.

dynolou2
09-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Northwest trans parts in Ohio can supply an external seal up kit or most other parts 800-327-1955. Lou Cote

mapman
09-22-2011, 04:27 PM
I just bought a DG 200 gasket set, rear seal and filter from SI. I would imagine other venders have them as well.
Rob

(S)
09-22-2011, 06:06 PM
ebay is a fun place to look, most prices are below list right now, and some NOS parts for these are out there that no vendors have.

41 Frank
09-22-2011, 06:56 PM
I have the Speedster horn rings available NOS.

55studeman
11-15-2011, 03:38 AM
Yep, A/C is tricky on the 55' hardtop (speedster). I've seen it done a few ways.

My favorite by far was done by Len Brewer if I can remember correctly. And as a bonus it was done on a speedster. He pulled out the generator and put the A/C compressor in that position. Then he found a "micro" alternator, a really small thing -about half the size of a regular alternator, and put that between the filler pipe and the passenger side cylinder head. Very novel, like how he did it.

The other way is to place the compressor in the 12:00 position where the filler pipe is and move the filler pipe or block it off and put a filler pipe on the valve covers (use later model valve covers).

11-15-2011, 10:00 AM
My transmission is leaking badly (from the front it appears) when the engine is running. I haven't driven it yet but believe it is functioning otherwise. I plan on removing it and the engine for cleanup and leak repair. I have searched and can't find information on replacing the seals in the transmission. Need some help here.
I'm planning on eventually adding AC but the engine compartment is rather full with the power steering unit. Any suggestion on how to do would be appreciated.
I also am looking for a few parts. I would like to find an undamaged grill suitable for rechroming or better yet one not needing chrome. A left side tail light housing and lens. A back up light lens. A couple window crank handles and one escutcheon. A full horn ring. A plastic dashboard with no cracks.
Thanks
Re the AC, check with Railway on the Forum. He has vast experience with adding AC to Studebakers. Vintage Air also has a number of Studebaker applications available.

Jerry Forrester
11-15-2011, 08:00 PM
It really complicates matters if you insist on keeping the oil filter. I always $hitcan the partial flow oil filters on my cars, it makes installation of the AC compressor much easier.
http://inlinethumb25.webshots.com/21976/2660844740051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2660844740051977924DahBmM)

RadioRoy
11-15-2011, 08:47 PM
The center section of the 55 chrome grille is the same from sedan to coupes. Only the side sections, the ones with turn signals in them are different from coupe to sedan. If you find the center section of the grille from any 55, it will fit your car. It doesn't have to come from a speedster. It doesn't even have to come from a coupe or hard top. A center grille from a lowly champion sedan will fit. That means you have a lot more cars to choose from.