Rear End for '49 Stude 3/4 Ton Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Rear End for '49 Stude 3/4 Ton Truck

Has anyone here replaced the Stude rear-end in their 3/4 ton truck? I'd like to find a 3.54 or 3.70 rear-end to put under my buddy Bob's '49 Studey 3/4 ton truck. We are restoring this truck, but he wants to drive it on the highway, and the stock rear end is really geared for power and not speed.

We want to keep the stock Stude 3/4 ton truck wheels.

When I restored a '54 Chevy 3/4 ton truck I managed to find a 3.54 rear-end that was a bolt-in swap. If anyone has done this swap on their Stude, what rear-ends will work? Or should I just go out to Ye Olde Junkyard with my tape measure?
    Thanks.
    1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
    1995 Dodge/Cummins Pickup, 250 HP, 620 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, ATS trans.
    Robert Rausch

Agree. Without the Budd wheels, it looks like some lame 1/2t. Those wheels make the truck.

What you want is a Dana 60, but they are unobtanium. AFAIK, there are no rear axles which use the same 6-bolt Budd pattern which are also the same width. Some Dodge-chassis based motor homes used a Dana 60 with the 6-bolt pattern, but they are usually wider than the '49-55 C-cab. When Studebaker went to the Dana 60, they widened the rear track and went to an 8-bolt Ford pattern. Rumor has it the first few '56 E10/11/12 trucks had a Dana 60 with the 6-bolt wheel pattern, but I've never actually seen one.

FWIW, I'm working on a project to put the Timken hubs on a later Stude Dana 60 I'll let you know how it goes.

jack vines
    Last edited by PackardV8; 09-21-2011, 04:08 PM.
    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by rrausch View Post
      Has anyone here replaced the Stude rear-end in their 3/4 ton truck? I'd like to find a 3.54 or 3.70 rear-end to put under my buddy Bob's '49 Studey 3/4 ton truck. We are restoring this truck, but he wants to drive it on the highway, and the stock rear end is really geared for power and not speed.

When I restored a '54 Chevy 3/4 ton truck I managed to find a 3.54 rear-end that was a bolt-in swap. If anyone has done this swap on their Stude, what rear-ends will work? Or should I just go out to Ye Olde Junkyard with my tape measure?
      Thanks.
      rr

Am I missing something, or why can't you find a rear end that fits and have the axle flanges and drums drilled to fit the original wheel pattern?

Bob

Comment

Am I missing something, or why can't you find a rear end that fits and have the axle flanges and drums drilled to fit the original wheel pattern?
        1. There aren't that many 3/4t full-floating axles as narrow as the '49-55 Stude.
        2. Most of the Dana 60s have that ugly, ugly axle end sticking out four inches beyond the wheel. The Timken is an much more visually attractive axle end close to the wheel.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Thanks guys.

Jack--yep love those Budd wheels. Years ago I had an original 40's Power Wagon with Budd wheels--they made good stuff.
          Please keep me in the loop for the timken hubs/Dana 60 switch.
          1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
          1995 Dodge/Cummins Pickup, 250 HP, 620 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, ATS trans.
          Robert Rausch

Comment

I pulled up to a stop light a couple days ago admiring a really clean 61 to 64 Ford truck. I looked at the wheels and was surprised to see a single wheel rear large 6 bolt . They were also non split rim. Looking at the badge on the side of the front fender it was a F350 pickup. Probably a pretty rare pickup. I had never seen one before.

Gordon

Comment

Working...
            X