PDA

View Full Version : Body: Rear Window Removal??

woodysrods
09-20-2011, 11:46 PM
Need help! What is the trick or proceedure to removing the rear window from a 51 4 DR?
Thanks
Brian

mbstude
09-20-2011, 11:58 PM
Cut the perimeter of the rubber with a razor blade and the glass will practically fall out.

dong
09-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Actually Matthew it should fall in rather than out. And it usually isn't that easy. The shop manual gives a pretty good description of the removal. Basically what it says is: remove rear seat back and package shelf, remove the reveal moulding if equipped and then using a wooden wedge start loosen the weatherstrip from the body flange starting at the lower corner and working your up and over the top, push the lip of the weatherstrip over edge of the flange. While doing this push the top of the window inward so that the weatherstrip will clear the flange. Then use a rubber mallet to drive the window toward the inside of the car. To install you use a crowbar and mallet. I was very tentative (read scared) when doing this but the window did not break as I had expected.

Jackson
09-23-2011, 08:53 AM
What Matthew said, do the perimeter cutting on the interior rubber (I use a box cutter) then push the glass out.