52 champion brake questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 champion brake questions

My dad has a 52 Champion 4 door that is in need of a brake hyd system freshening. He needs all 4 slave cyls and a master cyl, . Anybody know where to get reasonably priced parts, or have the correct part #s for dorman stuff? I checked RockAuto, but they list a couple of different wheel cyls for front and rear. Anybody have any insight? He lives in a podunk town and isn't real computer savvy, so being tasked with this, I'd like to get him the right parts the first time.
    Thanks
    Travis..

Get your parts from one of the many studebaker vendors,
    1. good knowledgeble service
    2. parts will fit first time
    3 they get to stay in business with our support and provide us with this needed service.
    here is one http://www.studebakerparts.com/

Originally posted by crashnzuk View Post
    My dad has a 52 Champion 4 door that is in need of a brake hyd system freshening. He needs all 4 slave cyls and a master cyl, . Anybody know where to get reasonably priced parts, or have the correct part #s for dorman stuff? I checked RockAuto, but they list a couple of different wheel cyls for front and rear. Anybody have any insight? He lives in a podunk town and isn't real computer savvy, so being tasked with this, I'd like to get him the right parts the first time.
    Thanks
    Travis..

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

While you are at it, also replace the three brake hoses and any hard line that appears to be in questionable condition. There is no time like the present to assure the most important system in a vehicle is in top condition.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If you have the chance to do it, replacing the front brakes with those from a 51-53 V-8 Studebaker car will vastly improve your Champion's braking ability. It's a direct bolt on, but you need everything from the backing plate outward.

Do NOT remove the self adjusting system. If it is installed per the shop manual, it works just fine.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

^^What's the benefit of the V8 brake hoses?
          Travis..

Comment

Originally posted by crashnzuk View Post
            What's the benefit of the V8 brake hoses?
            Hoses are the same whether six cylinder or eight. What Roy is saying is the V8 brakes offer superior stopping power and are a direct bolt-on. Even better than the '51-'53 brakes are any V8 brakes from '55 up. However, replacing these will require you find a set someone wants to part with, hence Roy's statement, "If you have the chance..."
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

My bad, I mis-read "those" as "hose". I guess my speed reading skills aren't very good I don't imagine the old man would want to do any parts swapping. He just wants to get the system back up to snuff.
              Travis..

Comment

Working...
              X