No announcement yet.

Stromberg WW 2 bbl with an old problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Stromberg WW 2 bbl with an old problem.

My original carb has been rebuilt and was doing pretty well after we lowered the float level (thanks for the help). After doing the 1000 mile return trip to the PSMCDs, it has developed a quirk. It will flood when turning right. I remember asking on the forum about improvements over the years to the Strombergs. I believe it was StudeRich that mentioned an improvement that solved this problem. I almost believe it doesn't like the gas I put in while in the U.S. In Canada I can use Shell hi-test that has no ethanol. Should I re-set the float levels? put a restrictor in the line? blow out the jets? drain the fuel tank and start over? or go with a new 4 bbl from Phil Harris?
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

My buddy at the garage next door just pulled the car in and apparently fuel is pouring out of the carb. Could the ethanol mess it up that quickly? Going to my back up carb until we can pull the rebuilt apart.... will keep posting.

Comment

All the jets were plugged up and so was the heat riser tube. Idles nice, but still gives a little backfire on acceleration. Has to be more than ethanol in the gas I bought, probably some water, too. You can't tell a fuel by the pump it's in.

Comment

Stromberg WW

The right turn flooding can be IMPROVED by a brass plate "wall" that goes in near the needle and seat end of the float, on a WW it usually only happens when level is too high.

The backfire on exceleration is usually too lean a mixture, or incorrect excelerator pump stroke adjustment, check the rebuild kit instructions and the Shop Manual.
        That is assuming that initial timing and both advances are correct.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks, Rich. Exactly what I was looking for!

Comment

Working...
          X