49 Studebaker Pickup vin location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 49 Studebaker Pickup vin location

I just bought a 49 Studebaker pickup. I didnt get any paper work with it. I contacted DMV herein NY and they want a tracing of the vin tag on the truck. From my research online I find there is no vin on the truck only on the engine block which did not come with the truck.
    I searched all over and didnt see one. Does anyone know if theres a place the vin is on there someplace?

If its a South Bend truck the VIN plate would be on the drivers side just below the seat. If Hamilton truck its on the drivers side just behind the seat on the side .
    Very easy to see so I bet yours is missing.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

There is no secret serial number on Stude trucks. The term VIN did not come into use until the 1980s. Studes had two serial numbers: the vehicle serial plate should be as 2R5 stated. The engine also had a serial number, and some states used that for registration, up until the early 1950s. If you are mssing the vehicle serial plate and have no engine, you're probably gonna hafta have ithe DMV issue a serial number for it. Each state has its own procedures for that.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

At that time, New York State used the engine number for ID. Many vehicles have had their ID changed from the engine number to the Serial Number, particularly if there has been an engine change. I have done this myself. I have made a pencil tracing of the Serial Number for NYS registration purposes. On a Studebaker truck without a Serial Number plate, I just made an aluminum plate with the number on it with a series of center punch marks and then made a pencil tracing of that plate. More recently, I have had a serial number plate made for a Studebaker truck with an engraved number and a repro decal. Sometimes you have to be creative.
        As you know, New York State does not title anything pre-1973. You will get issued a transferable registration. If you purchased the truck in NY, you should have gotten this, even if it was long since expired.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I bought the truck in ny but it has been through a few owners and the regitration is missing. I do have the window sticker and insurance cards from 81 that were in the truck so I know what the number is. DMV wants a tracing so I guess ill have to make a plate because there is none in those locations.

Comment

You can buy a blank plate on Ebay for cheap and then just scew it into the frame on the drivers side step wall.

Comment

Originally posted by xtrmes View Post
              I bought the truck in ny but it has been through a few owners and the regitration is missing. I do have the window sticker and insurance cards from 81 that were in the truck so I know what the number is. DMV wants a tracing so I guess ill have to make a plate because there is none in those locations.
              Are the numbers from 1981 the engine or serial numbers? If the number is the engine number, you will have to create a serial number plate since your engine is changed/missing. If the 1981 number is the serial number, the window sticker/registration "should" be enough. I have had Studebakers where I went to several different DMV offices in one day until I found one that would accept what I had (legal ownership, but it depends on the individual that you are dealing with). Where are you in NYS?
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I'm located near Stuyvesant NY the nearest DMV to me is Hudson NY. I have no way of knowing what number was used before but its on the reg so I'm going with it. I ordered a new plate today. Like I said my Aunt works for DMV and she said if I can get a tracing it will be much easier. Or I need to bring the whole truck to the state so they can issue a new number and put a new plate on it. I dont want to go through that.
                I want to get this done I really want to get working on the truck I've wanted an old truck for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by xtrmes View Post
                  I'm located near Stuyvesant NY the nearest DMV to me is Hudson NY. I have no way of knowing what number was used before but its on the reg so I'm going with it. I ordered a new plate today. Like I said my Aunt works for DMV and she said if I can get a tracing it will be much easier. Or I need to bring the whole truck to the state so they can issue a new number and put a new plate on it. I dont want to go through that.
                  I want to get this done I really want to get working on the truck I've wanted an old truck for many years.
                  Before registering the truck, I would check the number that you have. If it is the original engine number, you will have a registration/ownership that doesn't match anything. If the number that you have is the serial number, that is great. Before going through this "initial" registration, I would be sure to use the serial number of the truck. Do it correct once rather than having to re-do it.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    Before registering the truck, I would check the number that you have. If it is the original engine number, you will have a registration/ownership that doesn't match anything. If the number that you have is the serial number, that is great. Before going through this "initial" registration, I would be sure to use the serial number of the truck. Do it correct once rather than having to re-do it.
                    Well I am going to assume the number I have is the correct one since it is on the current registration sticker that was on the truck. I have no way to verify since theres no motor and no tags on the truck anyplace.

Comment

If the number on your registration sticker begins with R5, that is the vehicle serial number. If it begins with 1R, that was the original engine number.
                      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

The ID plates on the '49 trucks are on the vertical section of the step as you enter the cab on the driver's side. Those steps were prone to rust so it may be missing as a result.

Comment

The number on the sticker is the 1r number so i guess it was by the motor. The step area has no rust in that area were the tag should be and it doesn't look like there ever was one there. I found a couple different sites saying not all the trucks had a serial number on them.
                          So I guess I'll use the same number.

Comment

I'd just knock that number you have onto a plate and make your rubbing. For good measure, you could stamp it on the frame rail too just for future use. I once had a 38 Dodge that hadn't been reg'd since the 60s and it was the engine number (engine was long gone, truck was rodded in the late 50s). I stamped the number on the frame rail (making sure it didn't look like a fresh stamping) and took it to DMV. Dude looked at it and issued me a title. If everything is legit and you have some historical documentation, just go with it and say as little as possible.
                            Travis..

Comment

Like I said I ordered a new plate off of E-bay so I'll stamp that and make my tracing. Then just take all the paper work and window sticker that was on the truck to DMV and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X