Avanti Powershift Transmission Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Powershift Transmission Question

The first Avanti powershift transmission, serial no. 10001 is a red tag unit for rear axles of 4.09 and up. Do records exist that would indicate which Avanti, (probably a prototype) in which this trans was used? Before I put it back on the shelf again, thought I would ask.

I don't know the answer to the question but my powershift has a low serial number like yours and a 4.09 rear end. Mine also has the red tag. Any reason for the difference in tag colours ie is there some difference in the powershift used on 4.09 ratio compared to the others?
    pb

Comment

I believe in George Krem's "R series" book, available through the Museum store, you can find info regarding points like that. I scanned over one recently and there are descriptions of how many cars had what, etc. It may be in there
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 63r2 View Post
        I don't know the answer to the question but my powershift has a low serial number like yours and a 4.09 rear end. Mine also has the red tag. Any reason for the difference in tag colours ie is there some difference in the powershift used on 4.09 ratio compared to the others?
        pb
        From what I learned last week while trying to figure out how to find a speedometer pinion gear for a 4.55 rear axle, the red tag powershift's uses a 8 tooth gear inside the transmission and a green tag powershift uses a 7 tooth gear to allow for varying pinion gear size.

Allen
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
        PSMCDR 2013
        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

63r2, what is the serial no. of your AS4-10 and your car. I'm of the opinion that all the AS2's &4's were serialed sequentially. This is the list I have:

AS4-10 10001 car unknown
          AS2-10 10445 R2 R1236
          AS4-10 12372 R1 R3832*
          AS2-10 14561 R3 R5642

*need to pull the extension housing to confirm that this was the original trans for 3832.
          Last edited by WCP; 09-19-2011, 09:55 AM. Reason: typing error

Comment

WCP
            The car is a long way away so I cannot confirm for some time. A shame really as I saw it only the other day.
            I will confirm when I can. The serial number is R1499.

Comment

Thanks Peter.

studebaker-R2-4-me, you have those numbers reversed. The green tag AS2-10 has the 8 tooth gear while the red tag AS4-10 has the 7 tooth one.

Comment

Wcp
                Ok you can add my car to the listing.
                AS4-10 10019 R2 R1499
                pb

Comment

Interesting, Peter. If they were numbered sequentially, then your transmission would suggest that few 4.09's were installed in floor shift cars, at least up to your car's production date. I wonder what the overall split was between floor shift car production - 4.09 and up vs 3.73 and down.

Comment

It also should be remembered that in 1964, hardly anyone would buy a performance car with 4.09 gears, and then order an Automatic, there should have been plenty of 4.09, 4.27 and 4.54 Model 44's with FOUR Speeds.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Wcp
                      I know of another car with a 4.09/auto combination. I will see if I can get the serial numbers and that might shed more light on your theory.
                      pb

Comment

Working...
                      X