Alternator / AC Compressor Install photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Alternator / AC Compressor Install photos

I finally finished the installation of my Sanden AC compressor and Delco alternator on my 61 Hawk. I am not a master fabricator, I just thought some of the other amateurs out there may be interested. I thought it worked out pretty well and was fairly easy.

The Compressor fit the generator bracket without modification. I used grade 5 threaded rod to run through everything. I still have to make a couple spacers to fit on the threaded rod but that is no big deal. The original belt tension adjustment strap fit the compressor without modification.

The alternator was a little more involved. I replaced the front 2 head bolts with 5" studs made from grade 7 threaded rod and I used a hardened washers under the nuts. I fabricated the bracket and set it on top of the nuts after the head was torqued. The bracket was made from a piece of 2" x 3/8" flat bar. The saddle the alternator bolts to was made from a piece of 1-1/2" x 1/4" flat bar. The belt tension adjustment strap offsets had to bent in the opposite direction since it was being used on the opposite side of the engine. I also had to add more hook to the bend to fit around the alternator correctly. A little heat from the torch and it was easy to reshape. The cutting and fabrication work on the flat bar was all done with a cut-off wheel, grinder, drill press and a welder of course. Nothing fancy required.

Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

That looks sooo good! Forgive my ignorance about the process, but is there an advantage to moving the alternator/generator over to the driver's left side and putting the compressor on the right, instead of just putting the compressor in on the left and leaving the generator/alternator where it already is? I'm sure there is a very sound and very sensible reason for it, but I seem to have missed there wherefores and whys of that particular engineering problem. Hoses for the compressor in a better location?

Comment

Hoses were the main reason. The condensor connections are on that side, the dryer will be on that side and the bulkhead fitting through the firewall will also be on that side. Just seemed to make more sense to put the compressor over there too. Didn't want AC hoses snaking all around the engine compartment.
      Wayne

sigpic

Comment

I like the way your setup looks, very clean bracketry too.
        One good reason for putting the compressor on the passenger side is to keep the A/C lines from draping over the engine. Typically the lines enter the passenger compartment through the firewall on that side, and if you use a condensor that has the inlet and outlet on the same side, it can make for a really clean installation.

that's what I get for chatting with coworkers instead of posting. same thoughts tho!
        sigpic
        JohnP, driving & reviving
        60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Nice work! Using studs instead of long bolts will allow you to remove your bracket without disturbing the head bolt torque.
          Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Thanks Dwight. I hadn't thought about using studs until you mentioned it in my earlier head bolt post. I agree that this is the way to go.

Also, Bob J. sent me a PM asking about compressor orientation. I checked the Sanden SD compressor manual and found the compressor can be mounted with the oil plug anywhere between the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position. My set-up has the plug at about the 11 o'clock position. Thanks for asking about this Bob, I hadn't thought about it.
            Wayne

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X