PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: Need some help Trouble shooting my 49 2R10

Bikerguy
09-17-2011, 09:02 AM
I have a 49 Truck 2R10 and when I went to start my truck yestrday and when I hit the button ther is just a spinning noise. I thought the starter but I tried to push start it and when I would pop the clutch nothing happened, the truck didn't even skip or anything. If you push in the clutch it goes in all the gears and the clutch is working but, I'm thinking it must be something with the Flywheel or Transmisson? I'm not sure and could use some assisitance.
Thanks

Chucks Stude
09-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Is the battery charged? Do you have overdrive? If you have overdrive, it needs to be locked out of overdrive. When you try to push start it, do it in third gear. Less strain on the clutch.

Bikerguy
09-17-2011, 09:44 AM
Yeah the battery is charged, I'm getting power. I have overdrive but I don't know how to lock it out. When I tried to push start it the truck didn't do anything at all when I popped the clutch, it didn't jump forward or do anything just kept coasting.

52-fan
09-17-2011, 10:55 AM
If the truck has overdrive, and the handle for the lockout cable is pushed in, it will coast (freewheel) in any gear but reverse. To push start the handle must be pulled out so the OD is locked.
If the starter spins, but does not engage, the bendix on the end of the starter may be hung. I would pull the starter and check for obstructions or rust that would prevent the bendix from moving out. You may need a new bendix.

Bikerguy
09-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Thanks. Where is the handle to the lockout overdrive located? I've only had my tuck about 2months and there is no type of handle or anything in the cab for the overdrive. In fact I was wondering how I get out of overdrive when I'm in it because I'm going to fast to downshift into 2nd gear. If there is a way to get underneath and disconnect the overdrive let me know how maybe that is my problem. Thanks so much for your help, I'm new at owning a studebaker and new at owning a truck as well. Is the starter hard to get out? It looks pretty massive.

nvonada
09-19-2011, 07:32 AM
OD cable is under the dash near the steering wheel. I don't have one myself but it is a cable control in or out. The starter just spinning is almost certainly the bendix drive. The starter comes out easy (disconnect the battery first!!). Once the starter is out the Bendix is the gear and spring job on the end. It comes off with a simple snap ring. It is not complicated, just keep track of the parts as you take it apart. The bendix relies on inertia. When the starter starts spinning the bendix gear's inertia resists that spinning. This "unwinds" the spring and engages the gear. Any rust or dirt will increase the friction between the bendix and the starter and the gear just spins with the starter rather than unwinding. Clean everything and it should work fine again.

Back in the day mechanics were told to put the bendix together dry. Any oil would just attract dirt and gum it up faster. However we have fewer dirt roads today and our toy cars sit more than they drive so I figure rust is a bigger threat than dirt. I lubricated mine with a very light graphite lock oil and it has not stuck since.

Nathan

Bikerguy
09-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks, I'm going to take the starter off and see what I can find. About the Overdrive, I don't have any cable anywhere under the dash or by the steering wheel. I can't seem to find anything to disengage the overdrive, I've looked everywhere. The overdrive works when I'm in 3rd I lift off the gas pedal and then push the pedal again and the OD kicks in but, there is no way to get out of overdrive and go back to 3rd gear. Anymore help on this would be greatful! I really hope cleaning the starter bendix works.

Skip Lackie
09-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Climb under there and look for a HD choke/throttle-type cable attached to a rod on the side of the OD unit on the back of the trans. If there's no cable there at all, look for the rod and push/pull it HARD toward the front of the truck. Make sure it's pushed as far as it will go.

Jim B PEI
09-20-2011, 11:36 AM
If the truck has overdrive, and the handle for the lockout cable is pushed in, it will coast (freewheel) in any gear but reverse. To push start the handle must be pulled out so the OD is locked.
If the starter spins, but does not engage, the bendix on the end of the starter may be hung. I would pull the starter and check for obstructions or rust that would prevent the bendix from moving out. You may need a new bendix.

Overdrive easy to remember
IN=ON (freewheels and may engage if everything else works)
OUT=LOCKOUT--that's why it is called a "lock out" instead of a "lockin" (so you can pushstart and have engine braking at lower speeds)

Bikerguy
09-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Ok, so I got under there and I think that I got the overdrive dissengaged didn't see anything like that but there was one thing that had a cable and I pulled on it and it went back into place. I got the starter out and there is no snap ring holding the spring together or anything on the bendix, infact when I pulled it out the spring stayed i had to reach in there and pull it out seperatly. After I got the starter out I put my hand into the hole where it goes and found a loose bolt and a washer, I can't seem to find where that would go inside there. The bendix looks good it's not rusty or chewed up and the Flywheel looks good also no gears are chewed up. So, I guess I should put the starter back together and put it back in? Is there anything I'm missing or any tricks to getting it back in? Should I be worried about not having a snap ring?
Thanks

Bikerguy
09-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Where can i get the c clip for the benix gear spring???

nvonada
09-22-2011, 08:08 AM
I don' t know if you can get that separately. Someone might have one laying around or if you have a auto electric place around that rebuilds motors they might have one. One of the vendors will probably have to complete Bendix.