PDA

View Full Version : Other: Questions about 1940 Commanders

BubbaBear
09-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Lotís of questions Too many to ask. <G> So here are a few. Would appreciate any info anyone would like to offer. Itís in amazing condition with only 46, XXX miles and has been garaged since 1960. Very little rust even on the underside. And is complete. I donít know a lot about the pre-war cars. Oldest I have had was a í51 Studebaker ĺ ton truck. What engine does it have? Is it the one known as the ďbig sixĒ How does it differ from the six I had in my truck? Where are the best sources of parts. One that I would like ASAP is the piece of trim seen below . The long piece in front. It is just bugging us. Going to fix that dent behind it right away. Hope it isnít too hard to find or too expensive. Might want a trunk lid. We can fix it but if thereís one available it would be easier as ours looks like a sack full of doorknobs. Must be a story behind that. Itís the only place on the car that has any damage to speak of. What are the brakes like? Difficult to work on? Hard to find parts? Anything to note about the clutch? Anyone have any answers to questions I havenít thought of yet? <G>

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/BubbaBear_2006/1940Stude015.jpg

avantilover
09-17-2011, 03:07 AM
Can I suggest you send Richard Quinn a personal message? He was editor of the Antique Studebaker Review and knows a lot about these cars.

dictator27
09-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Same basic "big 6" engine as your truck with smaller displacement, 226 ci as opposed to 245.

Terry

BubbaBear
09-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Can I suggest you send Richard Quinn a personal message? He was editor of the Antique Studebaker Review and knows a lot about these cars.

Thanks I will as him for some direct but I hope others will help on some of the questions I asked here. We had the car towed to our place today. Actually to Mikes parking lot at work. We need to do some juggling to move it home. Funny thing is we had the owner of a rat rod shop stop and give us his business card before we even had it off the roll off yet. Sheesh. <G> We're getting the engine well lubed and cleaning up the carb a little. Plan to put a new battery in Tuesday and see if we can get it running. Can anyone tell us if it is a negative ground?

rockne10
09-17-2011, 04:45 PM
It would be positive ground unless it's been molested.
Your Body, Chassis and Shop Manual are available in reprint. I don't think they are on CD yet.
You will no doubt find some parts through the Forum, Stude swap meets and Turning Wheels.
Your greatest resource, as mentioned in your previous thread, will be The Antique Studebaker Review; bi-monthly magazine of the Antique Studebaker Club.

BubbaBear
09-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks. We plan to order the manuals next week and join the Antique Studebaker Club.

Retired
09-18-2011, 12:34 PM
That bull nose ceneter piece was done in die cast, yours, and stainless steel.

nvonada
09-19-2011, 07:53 AM
The trim parts show up on e-bay fairly often. Your grills look good. That is a big plus! Save your trunk lid because as far as I know nobody does body panels for these cars. The good news is a surprising amount of the rubber parts are reproduced (check with Stude. Intl. and studebakerparts.com). All your interior plastic (knobs, steering wheel etc) can be obtained from Shrock Bros. More good news is that since Stude bought a lot of parts from outside suppliers you can still get a lot of parts at your local auto parts store. You have Bendix brakes, Autolite electrics, Dana rear axle, Carter carb, and a Borg-Warner transmission. All of these were used on lots of cars for decades. Both this forum and the ASC site are great resources. I search them before every new project.

Nathan

BubbaBear
09-19-2011, 09:05 PM
I found that out on closer inspection. I've been looking on Ebay and elsewherebut without the part number I'm not having much luck. Plan on ordering a manual tomorrow.

BubbaBear
09-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the info. Shrock Bros. looks interesting too. Got a battery today. Put some Marvel down the plug holes Saturday. Doing an oil change and then seeing what we have to work with. I have a feeling that engine may just run.

rockne10
09-19-2011, 09:23 PM
John,
Once you're in the ASC you can place a free want ad in The Antique Studebaker Review for those "elusive" parts.
Nice thing about maintaining a vehicle with original patina is, there are a lot more suitable parts out there. Many of us have straight functional parts that we assume won't sell because everyone is doing a restoration. Fact is, everyone isn't!

Chris_Dresbach
09-19-2011, 09:58 PM
The deck lid can be difficult to find. I've only ever seen one NOS declid like that and it was for a '39 Champion. I do have a comment about the clutch... At the end of the clutch pedal there should be a "C" shaped link that goes to the tranny. I personally didn't like that on my car and replaced the link with ball joints. It works a lot better and smoother shifting.

BubbaBear
09-19-2011, 10:07 PM
John,
Once you're in the ASC you can place a free want ad in The Antique Studebaker Review for those "elusive" parts.
Nice thing about maintaining a vehicle with original patina is, there are a lot more suitable parts out there. Many of us have straight functional parts that we assume won't sell because everyone is doing a restoration. Fact is, everyone isn't!

We plan to join right away.

BubbaBear
09-19-2011, 10:09 PM
The deck lid can be difficult to find. I've only ever seen one NOS declid like that and it was for a '39 Champion. I do have a comment about the clutch... At the end of the clutch pedal there should be a "C" shaped link that goes to the tranny. I personally didn't like that on my car and replaced the link with ball joints. It works a lot better and smoother shifting.

Thanks for the info about the clutch. We are not looking for a NOS trunk lid. Ours is damaged and it appears that someone trying to fix it did even more damage. A good used one would be fine.