Studebaker government contracts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker government contracts

I was just looking through the database at AAD.archives.gov and found that apparently the last government contract with Studebaker was in 1977 for the Navy. The amount was under $25,000 and the company location (actually Studebaker-Worthington) is given as Newport News, Va. I guess Studebaker-Worthington had an office there. In previous years - even after 1966 - Studebaker had a lot of contracts with the government, much of it in pumps. Many times the location is given as Minneapolis, where I know Studebaker had subsidiaries ( I think Onan was one).

Anyway, it's sort of esoteric information, but interesting to note that Studebaker's business with the government continued long after the cars were no longer made.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

A contract that small was probably for spare parts for pumps or other equipment provided under a previous contract. As I recall, in 1977, contracts for $24,999 or less could be awarded on a "sole source" (ie, no competition) basis.

The Norfolk/Newport News area was/is the site of the world's largest Navy base. Navy ships have a LOT of different pumps.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
      A contract that small was probably for spare parts for pumps or other equipment provided under a previous contract. As I recall, in 1977, contracts for $24,999 or less could be awarded on a "sole source" (ie, no competition) basis.

The Norfolk/Newport News area was/is the site of the world's largest Navy base. Navy ships have a LOT of different pumps.

Newport News was the name of the last ship I served on, code name "Rolling Thunder"

Click image for larger version

Name:	NKYPHOTOS309.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1670664
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Hey:

I live in Newport News, VA. Will do a bit of research and see what I can find about it.

take care

george o

Comment

Studebaker-Worthington is a leasing company so the Government must have leased something from them.

Comment

My deceased father-in-law worked for the Defense Contract Administration Service Organization (DCASO) starting with procurement for the military during WWII. He was a great guy and not particularly blessed with any depth of understanding of the technical aspect of equipment, etc...not unlike me. His last assignment was in northern Indiana and his office was in the building in South Bend that had formerly been where Singer Sewing Machine Co. (Maryknoll Bldg.?) had a facility and it had been converted into commercial space. I know he was working in that area in the 60's, but I don't know if he ever had Studebaker as a company with whom he had contact. I wish I would have brought up that subject.
            Last edited by Bob Bryant; 09-15-2011, 06:59 PM.
            "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Bryant View Post
              My deceased father-in-law worked for the Defense Contract Administration Service Organization (DCASO) starting with procurement for the military during WWII. He was a great guy and not particularly blessed with any depth of understanding of the technical aspect of equipment, etc...not unlike me. His last assignment was in northern Indiana and his office was in the building in South Bend that had formerly been where Singer Sewing Machine Co. (Maryknoll Bldg.?) had a facility and it had been converted into commercial space. I know he was working in that area in the 60's, but I don't know if he ever had Studebaker as a company with whom he had contact. I wish I would have brought up that subject.
              I knew many of the DCAS people at MaryCrest. I knew ALL of them from the DCAS office in the Kaiser Jeep/AM General Plant (formerly Studebaker Aviation Plant).

If it weren't for those BIG IDIOTS running Studebaker Corporation who in 1963/64 "gave away" their $81,000,000 government contract to build military vehicles to Kaiser Jeep...

...I would not have had a long rewarding career, with good pay & benefits and now a nice pension ...Thank You STUDEBAKER!!!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
                Studebaker-Worthington is a leasing company so the Government must have leased something from them.
                Studebaker-Worthington Leasing Company was/is a spin-off of the old S-W Corporation, and is the only piece that still carries the S-W name. In 1977, the S-W Corp was still making Worthington pumps as well as many of the products that came with Studebaker.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                X