Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: coil shorted problem

Here comes another DA question.
    I am working on a '56 Studebaker with my son. Ee put a new coil in and somehow connected both the + and - leads to the + side. It was several tries to start the engine before we noticed smoke coming from the distributor and resister.
    What is the possible damage from doing this. points, condensor, coil again?
    I think may have had another learning experience.
    kind regards

The coil should be fine as you electrically by-passed it by connecting + and - together. Check points for burning but smoke indicated something (condensor or resister) could be damaged.

Comment

Was the coil replaced to correct some problem ?

Comment

yes. It was an old car setting for years. We had starting problems and found that wiring the battery + to the coil + would let it start and keep running. While waiting for a new ignition switch we continued to start the car and disconnect the wire when done. Until the last time when we forgot for a day or two. Like leaving the ignition switch on. The coil top cracked and was replaced.

Comment

The smoke probably came from the points, but you may also have burned the flexible wire inside the distributor that connects the points to the stud on the outside of the distributor.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks, I will plan on replacing the wire as well.
            I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
            X