Excalibur story and a BIG Studebaker connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excalibur story and a BIG Studebaker connection

The story begins in 1963 at Studebaker where Brooks Stevens had been employed as design consultant by the president, Sherwood Egbert. Raymond Loewy also worked for Studebaker at the time and he had just completed his styling work on the Avanti.

Not sure if this has been posted in the past............
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

I was surprised that the guy writing the story referred to the radiator emblem as a "cross" in a circle. Hey - that's an excalibur sword - Duh!!!

The one thing that bothered me the most about Excaliburs when they were selling them was the use of VW tail lights and fender mounted turn signals. I much prefered the Clenet as I felt they classed up the styling a bit.

Hats off to Brooks Stevens though - it was another masterpiece that lingered long after the demise of Studebaker.
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
      I was surprised that the guy writing the story referred to the radiator emblem as a "cross" in a circle. Hey - that's an excalibur sword - Duh!!!

Thank you! I always considered it to be the Excalibur sword also and have been beaten down by many "experts".
      I talked to Brooks and his sons, at different times, about the Excalibur, particularly the frame, but never had a reason to bring up the hood ornament.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Were anyone to actually look at the emblem it would be clear as to what it is... given the name of the car! Double DUH!!!

This is the one on my '66 SSK.
        Attached Files

Comment

Some early prototype photos and sales literature do clearly show a cross in a circle radiator emblem rather than the sword. But it seems unlikely that any made it to production.

Chris.

Comment

The prototype had an "S."

Comment

Working...
            X