Find the Studebakers in Winnemucca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find the Studebakers in Winnemucca

I collect Studebaker post cards with a special emphasis on the early real photo cards. It is not common to find Studebaker's that are easily identifiable on these cards and very uncommon to see two vehicles in the same shot...but three is a record (except perhaps in a South Bend street scene). Must have been a very active Studebaker dealer in Winnemucca in the late '40s and early 50s.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Well, the third vehicle down on either side of the street (from the photographer's position) is an R-series truck, so there's two of the three.

Then, further down the left side is a circa 1950 4-door sedan in a lighter color.

Looking carefully, I'm not so sure you wouldn't find one or two more; a couple look like prospective Studebakers, but it's hard to tell.

Must've been a good dealer, as you say, Dick; 'specially in trucks. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Looks like 2 on the left side and a pickup for sure on the right. I am not up on pre war cars from the rear, but one of the closest ones on the right looks like a Stude.
      Unusual street scene for sure.
      Last edited by 52-fan; 09-14-2011, 10:32 AM.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Hi there are 3 on the left side. And one on the right. Dusty

Dusty Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by dusty taylor View Post
          Hi there are 3 on the left side. And one on the right. Dusty
          Believe you are correct! Missed that one way down the street on the left. May be a record!
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I at first thought there were three on the left, but I decided that one looked a bit like a Dodge or Plymouth. I may have been right the first time. Blowing the picture up very much makes it too fuzzy. If we had the original photo we could know for sure.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
              I at first thought there were three on the left, but I decided that one looked a bit like a Dodge or Plymouth. I may have been right the first time. Blowing the picture up very much makes it too fuzzy. If we had the original photo we could know for sure.
              I disagree. There is something about the passenger cabin of the 'third' Studebaker on the left (besides the general look of the front end) that says 47-48 Studebaker to me, and NOT Dodge and Plymouth (our family had a lot of different models of Dodge and Plymouth about that time; fastbacks, 2 & 4 drs, and wagons) For it to be a D or P (or a Desoto) with that roofline, I would say the photo would have to be later than say 1950...

Also, is that a 39,40,41 Studebaker taillight peaking in at the very right of the photo?

Comment

Working...
              X