Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How thick is the clutch plate supposed to be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How thick is the clutch plate supposed to be?

I've got the clutch cover off while repairing the clutch linkage, and this might be a good time to replace the clutch driven disk, but since I don't know how thick a new one is, I can't tell if mine is worn and needs replacement. How thick is a new one, and what is the minimum acceptable thickness prior to replacement?

Las Vegas, NV
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Well, it would seem to be a moot point if you have the car apart and it's not mint, replace it. If you have a lot of wear left before it hits the rivets, I guess you could reuse it. I always do the disk, pressure plate and bearing whenever I can get to it because if I don't, it'll fail 10,000 miles later.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Paul,

John is right, you've got it out, might as well replace the clutch plate,the pressure plate, and the release bearing assembly. You'll also need an alignment tool, you might have to have one made up.

Dick
      Mountain Home, AR

Dick
      Mountain Home, AR
      http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

I just had a drivetrain overhaul done on one of my fleet trucks (engine, trans, driveshaft and rear). I told the mechanic it would make sense to replace the clutch slave. HE DIDN'T. HE SAID IT WAS FINE. The truck was on the road two days when the slave failed.
        Makes me wish I were the mechanic, rather than the fleet manager.

Brad Johnson
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I don't want to seem flip about a issue that might be budget related, but unless the hard to get to part is near perfect, it's false economy to scrimp.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
          63 Avanti R1
          63 Daytona convert
          63 Lark 2 door
          62 Lark 2 door
          60 Lark HT-60Hawk
          59 3E truck
          58 Starlight
          52 & 53 Starliner
          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks, I ordered the parts and you all have confirmed what I expected was the smart thing to do.

Las Vegas, NV
            '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

When you get things back together, you might want to measure the height of the release fingers. A vernier caliper is great for that, even if it is a $20 Chinese one. If the fingers are very much out of adjustment, the clutch will chatter or "dog hump" as the old timers called it.

Comment

Working...
              X