DYSD in Hamilton...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DYSD in Hamilton...

No pix yet but soon! Some of us opted to attend a neat little cruise-in Saturday (DYSD) at a rare still-operating drive-in theatre on the escarpment south of Stoney Creek; they ran The California Kid followed by American Graffiti, Stude sightings in both movies, with one actress' role in American Graffiti actually credited as "Girl In Studebaker", which must surely have been the apogee of her career...

We had four Studes among fifty or so vehicles at that event, then today there were eight Studes among some ninety vehicles (including a beautiful 1930s mahogany powerboat!) at a seniors' residence in Burlington. I'll get pix up from both events ASAP, and also some shots of the latest Chapter addition, a '62 GT driven home by the new owner to Hamilton...from Utah!

S.
    Last edited by Steve T; 09-12-2011, 07:53 PM.

I saw three in Barrie. A 55 pick up, a 52 4Dr and my little black 55.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

OK, here are some pix...starting Friday evening at a cruise in Waterdown. This red '62 GT had arrived in Hamilton the previous Monday evening, having been driven home by its intrepid new owners the Streets (also new SDCers and Hamilton Chapter members)...from Utah.

DYSD pix next...

Comment

Hamilton Chapter didn't have one specific event in mind for everyone to attend this year; indeed the chapter membership is pretty spread out geographically. One suggestion that appealed to several of us was to attend a cruise-in and movie night Sat Sep 10 at the Starlite (how suitable, in context) Drive-In Theatre on the Niagara Escarpment south of Stoney Creek. Here are two Studes meeting-up in the afternoon...the bulletnose is the Porters' 50 Champion, the Lark's mine. We convoyed through Hamilton and up Highway 20 to the drive-in. (How many drive-ins are still operating on the continent, I wonder?)

Here as we're waiting out a red light a cyclist gets some vital Studebaker info from the Porters!

More to follow...

Comment

Here's the entrance and main screen at the Starlite, plus a closeup of the sign...

Comment

The Porters and I arrived early, but not earlier than Fred and his '62 Daytona rod; a bit later the Hawkes arrived from Guelph (a substantial drive) in their beautiful '59 Silver Hawk. Here are the four Studes, plus a closeup of the Silver Hawk on arrival, an uncommonly nice shot if I do say so myself...

Comment

Fred and his Daytona rod pause for reflection, courtesy the NOS wheelcovers on the Porters' '50...

The four Studes wait for sundown and the double bill of The California Kid and American Graffiti...

SDCers relax in the sun

Comment

Another classy independent was this Hudson Hornet. Building in the background is the snack bar; atop it is the three-sided projection booth aimed at the theatre's three screens.

A taste of some of the variety of vehicles that turned out. Old-school flathead Ford rod...

37 Pontiac and awesome blown 57 Ford rods

69 Yenko Camaro

Comment

Matthew Hawkes gets the star treatment from a cruise night paparazzo!

Part of the lineup waits for nightfall. (Couldn't get any shots during the movies; way too dark...) There were ultimately about fifty vehicles present.

Next up, the following day's cruise-in at the Heritage Place seniors' residence in Burlington...

Comment

The weekend's activities continued apace with a very nice, and very well-attended (90 vehicles), cruise-in Sunday afternoon at the Heritage Place seniors' residence in Burlington. Eight Studebakers showed up. Here they are, plus another sampling showing the impressive variety of stuff present...

Two 62 Larks

Another 62 Lark--Fred's Skytopped rod

50 Champion
                    Last edited by Steve T; 09-12-2011, 07:30 PM.

Comment

64 Daytona droptop (Stu and Thelma Chapman's)

64 GT Hawk and 65 Daytona Sport Sedan

37 Dictator

Comment

Showcasing the variety at the event...left to right, Mack B81 big rig; 35 Buick convertible resto-mod; 50s Ford pickup rod...

50s Chevy pickup and very rare 56 Lincoln Continental Mark II droptop

33 Dodge (stock) and the lovely Greavette mahogany powerboat it towed to the show!

Finally, one last Stude sighting at the same evening's Peggy Sue's Cruise in southeast Hamilton...parked my Lark beside the 63 GT Hawk belonging to forumite Kevin "kmul221". Think I Drove My Studebaker to an adequate degree this past weekend? What fun...

Cheers all

S.

Comment

Working...
                        X