'64 GT wheel covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: '64 GT wheel covers

Does anyone have a suggestion as to a way to repaint the black sectors on this wheel cover without having the obvious template(s) that must have been used to paint the covers originally? Some sections of mine are getting weak and could use some help, but it may be better to not even go there. Thanks.
    Larry

There is a guy on ebay that sells decal kits, Not sure if he has 64 GT ones, but I used the 62 Lark ones, nice set. ebay seller is studestu, his store is The right impression.
    Are these what you're looking for?

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by lakeview7 View Post
      Does anyone have a suggestion as to a way to repaint the black sectors on this wheel cover without having the obvious template(s) that must have been used to paint the covers originally? Some sections of mine are getting weak and could use some help, but it may be better to not even go there. Thanks.
      Larry

I used never-dul wadding and cleaned the painted areas of mine back to the stainless. They look much better than having the faded black on them. I tried masking a 63 cap to repaint it and decided it was indeed better not to go there. Good Luck, Steve
      sigpic

Comment

I cleaned off all the paint on my covers and masked them off and painted them. It did not take too long when your hanging out in the shop having a beer anyway. That was over 5 years ago and still look great. I think with the 63 I would go with the stickers, just because they would be a lot more work.

Allen
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
        PSMCDR 2013
        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions. As long as I know there is no "magic bullet" out there for this project, it makes it easier to go forward.
          Larry

Comment

Another way to do it it to mask off a larger area than you want to paint. Paint the area with a spray can. Then wrap a rag around your finger, dip the rag in acetone, and wipe the edge of the painted area. If you do this just right, it will leave a smooth, slightly fuzzy line of demarcation between the painted and non-painted areas. It will look just like a factory job.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I have painted nameplate & hub caps in a similar way that RadioRoy says with a slight difference. After masking the large areas I go around the edges with a sharp grease pencil, then mask the remaining areas. Paint then place in an oven at 140 degrees. This bakes the paint to a nice hard finish & when you remove the item, carefully clean with a solvent such as enamel reducer or thinner.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
              X