41 stude serial number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 41 stude serial number

Hey all ! I just purchased a 41 stude car with the serial number 48T5999. Can anyone let me know what I have? It is my third stude but my first car. It needs total restoration but is very solid with no rust out and very small dings on one door and one front fender. I am excited about getting it home and looking at a plan to get her back on the road. It also needs the left and right grills and one tail light . Thanks Larry

All the serial number really tells us is that it is a 1941 Commander built in California. That isn't a 'T', it's a capitol 'I', which Stude used as a numeral '1' in their serial numbers. Look under the hood on the right side of the firewall and find the body tag. It will start with 11A, followed by the body type (probably a W or F), trim level number, and body number.
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

My guess would be a Los Angeles built Commander (11A). There is no T in the serial number, it is probably a 1. The starting number that year was 4812253

Comment

Originally posted by studebacker View Post
        It is my third stude but my first car.
        Lost me there! As mentioned, Studebaker used the Roman numeral I as the numeral 1.

Like Dwain said, under hood firewall tag tells all.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Maybe the first 2 were horse drawn vehicles?
          Dave Pink
          Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
          1925 ER Tourer
          1925 Panel Delivery
          1953 Champion Sedan
          1957 Golden Hawk
          1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
          http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

Thanks folks! The car hasn't been brought home yet so I will call the guy I bought it from and `

Comment

Thanks folks! The car is not home yet so it will take a couple of days to find the number. The guy I bought it from claims it is a skyway but I don't know enough yet to be sure. Is there any characteristic that would help to ID it other than the number. Thanks Larry

Comment

Well, there is this, but unless your know what to look for or have those other numbers, it might not help that much. The Studebaker designations of model were mostly by engine, so a small six was a Champion and and a big six/straight 8/ V8 would be a Commander/President. So a 3G would be a Champion 6, but that could be a coupe or a sedan in several variations, as a 11A would be a Commander big 6, and a 7C a straight 8 President, and 3G/11A/7C all stand for '1941'
                Last edited by Jim B PEI; 09-10-2011, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Here is the tag number on the firewall 11AW-7 1922 Any help identifying this will be much appreciated Larry

Comment

Originally posted by studebacker View Post
                    Here is the tag number on the firewall 11AW-7 1922 Any help identifying this will be much appreciated Larry
                    The body plate number (11A W7) indicates the car is a ’41 Commander Six Skyway Cruising Sedan. The Skyway series was a mid model year introduction (Spring ’41) and differed from the earlier Deluxtone models by the lack of the contrasting color belt running along the hood and body as shown in the two images above. The Skyway models also came standard with the fender skirts as shown. Another four door Commander called the Land Cruiser with rear doors hinged at the B pillar was also available. A President Eight was also available with the same bodies. An explanation of all the models and styles could be found in the April 1993 issue of Turning Wheels. Incidentally 3,924 W7 Commanders were assembled in South Bend and Los Angeles (Vernon). Your car is a L.A. car. The year ’41 was a banner year for Studebaker. There were a total of approx 42000 Commanders assembled so they are not rare by Studebaker standards.

You should really join the Studebaker Drivers Club and the Antique Studebaker Club (the latter covers 1946 and earlier Studebakers only). You can join both by calling 763-420-7829 as this computer firm handles both clubs.
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Richard thank you for bringing this info to me. I am a new member of the SDC but not the Antique Studebaker Club. I will look into the later. My plan for this car is to do a mild custom street car by doing a front end clip and a small block. Does this eliminate the car from the Antique Studebaker Club? Thanks again Larry

Comment

Working...
                      X