Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about 1835 Conestoga Wagon; 1952 Studebaker Centennial; and 1954 Conestoga promotion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about 1835 Conestoga Wagon; 1952 Studebaker Centennial; and 1954 Conestoga promotion

Several years ago the West Plains, MO newspaper started publishing a quarterly historical magazine. In one of the issues there was an article about the West Plains Centennial that was held in 1952. In the article there are two pictures showing some citizens of West Plains standing in front of a Conestoga wagon. On the side of the wagon clearly displayed was the red ball logo of the Studebaker Corp. I have always wondered if the local Studebaker dealer (not positive there was one in town) arranged to have the Studebaker 1835 Conestoga wagon displayed in West Plains during the Centennial. Remember that studebaker was also celebrating thier Centennial the same year.
    Does anyone know if the Studebaker Corp. used the Conestoga wagon for promotional purpose like this during this period? Maybe touring the country visiting Studebaker dealers?

Last weekend I bought an envelope that was from the H. Landis Hill dealership of Lancaster, PA. The envelope is postmarked Sept 10, 1954. The outside of the envelope has 9 stamped images with the following wording:
    Conestoga Wagon Trip; an image of of six team Conestoga wagon and each stamp has a different town and date
    Lancaster, Pa. Sept 10, 1954
    Harrisburg, Pa. Sept. 13, 1954
    Bri_____, Pa. Sept, 20, 1954
    Pittsburgh, Pa. Sept. 20, 1954
    Canonsburg, Pa. Sept. 21, 1954
    Washington, Pa. Sept. 22, 1954
    Claysville, Pa. Sept. 23, 1954
    Wheeling, W. Va. Sept. 25, 1954
    Tridelphia, Pa. Sept. 24, 1954
    All the wording is stamped on and not hand written. It looks like a new stamp was made for each stop.

Inside is a four page story of Conestoga wagon written by Dr. Oscar Osburn Winther, Professor of History Indiana University. There are four drawings in the pamphlet: an Indian sitting on a hill smoking a pipe amd watching a wagon train go by, a family loading up a Conestoga wagon while the town folks watch, a group of travelers sitting around a camp fire with Conestoga wagons in the background, and a 1954 Studebaker Conestoga driving down a dessert road with old Conestoga wagons in the background. There is also a picture of Raymond Loewy.

There was also a business card from Lee M. McWilliams (a Salesman?) with the hand written message "I am sure this will be of interest to you".

Does anyone have any information about "The Conestoga Wagon Trip" of 1954?
    I do not remember seeing these subjects covered in Turning wheels before.
    Any information would be appriciated.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
Working...
X