Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

53 C/K radiator: re-core or hunt down a used one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 53 C/K radiator: re-core or hunt down a used one?

I can't find a radiator for my Stude 289 swap locally. Should I try to find a radiator shop and have my 6-cylinder one re-cored (and should I go 3 or 4 rows?) or should I try to hunt down a good used one? Does anyone know of a modern core that will fit?

And if I do this, would you recommend that I stay at 7psi or would I be safe moving up to 14 psi (which is what the 64 GT was using.)
    Dave Nevin
    Corvallis, OR
    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
    Stud-e-venture blog

The tanks on the original radiators are not very stout. The original well used one I had in my car for a while had been patched on the upper tank numerous times for cracks. I now have a better one in the car but still only use a 4lb cap with it per recommendations from the radiator shop. I once had the old one in a water tub and blocked off the necks to use compressed air to find the leaks. With the 4lb cap on (so I would not "blow it up") I could hear the tanks creaking as I applied and released the air. They are not well ribbed and the metal is thin.

So, my point is don't go over the spec'd cap pressure with those original radiators.

There have been some threads on here about alternate radiators many times. Custom aluminum ones are available as well as use of ones from a different car that don't fit exact but will work if you don't care about the looks.

Jeff in ND

Comment

I ran the original rad on my 55K and had problems at idle. Used the original tank and had a 4 pass recore (modern cores have mucho fins) and my problem was solved. Good luck.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Thanks Jeff--that's exactly what I was afraid of, but I thought I'd ask. Sometimes these things surprise you.

Dave--thanks.
        Last edited by dnevin; 09-21-2011, 08:25 PM.
        Dave Nevin
        Corvallis, OR
        Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

If we can get the Stude Express running. I have a nice 53 raid. that I was selling at La Palma a couple of years ago and someone came up and looked at it but didn't set it up right and it fell over and hit some other parts and put a tiny hole in one of the front tubes. It can be repaired or you can use the tanks for a re-core if you are that fussy. Just get someone to pick it up and take it to you.

Comment

If intending to actually drive the car and anticipate AC, hot temps, or parades, I'd go with the best quality, biggest radiator possible, preferably with new tanks and 16-18 PSI. If possible. If not intending to drive it, I'd go with "correct".

Comment

It'll be a driver Joe, and since I'm sticking a 289 in it correct doesn't quite seem as important anymore. This said, I have no immediate plans for AC (summers are fairly cool here.) I wouldn't mind a new radiator--would i have to have one built up from parts? Is there an aftermarket replacement that is a direct fit?

Alan--I'd definitely be interested in your radiator if we can get it here. Would you happen to have a shroud as well?
              Dave Nevin
              Corvallis, OR
              Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Some radiator shops are more willing than others to fabricate. Living in the desert before, I had a desert radiator shop custom make a 5-core radiator for a 56J, and have never seen a Stude 5-core before or since. Also, it does not look much different from OEM.
                I also had a shop in Indiana custom make an aluminum radiator for another 56J. It is a double-pass, SIrocco style, and does not look much like OEM. Both of the above radiators do great jobs at what radiators are supposed to do.
                My local radiator shop only wants to pressure test & repair leaks. He wouldn't even discuss recoring an underseat heatrer core. The guy said it is not do-able, but the guy in the desert recored on of them for me too.
                SO I guess there are radiator shops and there are radiator shops. It pays to find a good one.
                Joe

Comment

Yes, but they are big and clumsy.

Comment

Working...
                  X