Stude Engine Rebuilder near K.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude Engine Rebuilder near K.C.

A buddy of mine is restoring his Dad's '50 or '51 R10-122 Stude 3/4 ton truck, with 6-cyl flathead, and is looking for a good Stude Engine rebuilder near Kansas City. He was on the trail of a guy from Grandview, Mo., but hasn't come up with the guy's info yet. Do any members here have a recommendation for somebody real good who is into old Stude's?

1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
    1995 Dodge/Cummins Pickup, 250 HP, 620 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, ATS trans.
    1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
    Robert Rausch

I've got a good used radiator for your '53 if you need one. It was removed from a wreck in the '50s and kept inside. The problem is that shipping the heavy lump probably costs as much as the radiator is worth.

I think that I know the Studebaker guy that you refer to in Grandview, MO. If it is who I think, he does not do work other than for his employer.

For a flathead Studebaker six, I would contact Bill Cathcart. He is a good guy that specializes in Studebaker flat sixes.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I've got a good used radiator for your '53 if you need one. It was removed from a wreck in the '50s and kept inside. The problem is that shipping the heavy lump probably costs as much as the radiator is worth.

I think that I know the Studebaker guy that you refer to in Grandview, MO. If it is who I think, he does not do work other than for his employer.

For a flathead Studebaker six, I would contact Bill Cathcart. He is a good guy that specializes in Studebaker flat sixes.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

contact the SDC clubs in your area and you will find a reputable rebuilder because the members will tell you the rebuilder's past history of ability and honesty................Brad

Comment

contact the SDC clubs in your area and you will find a reputable rebuilder because the members will tell you the rebuilder's past history of ability and honesty................Brad

Comment

Myron McDonald of Aurora, MO restores Studebakers and does mechanic work on all cars.
            Does a very good job on his restoratations. Aurora is in SW MO maybe three hours south of KC.
            You might give him a call. He is listed in the Roster.

Gary Sanders
            Nixa, MO
            President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
            Gary Sanders
            Nixa, MO

Comment

Myron McDonald of Aurora, MO restores Studebakers and does mechanic work on all cars.
              Does a very good job on his restoratations. Aurora is in SW MO maybe three hours south of KC.
              You might give him a call. He is listed in the Roster.

Gary Sanders
              Nixa, MO
              President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
              Gary Sanders
              Nixa, MO

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll pass these on. Even though my buddy is in K.C., the truck is actually very close to Aurora, Mo. Hopefully this will work.

Thanks for radiator offer StudeGary. I have one I just got recored, otherwise I'd jump on the one you have. I might know someone though who needs it.

Robert Rausch

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll pass these on. Even though my buddy is in K.C., the truck is actually very close to Aurora, Mo. Hopefully this will work.

Thanks for radiator offer StudeGary. I have one I just got recored, otherwise I'd jump on the one you have. I might know someone though who needs it.

Robert Rausch

Comment

We pulled the engine about 10 days or so ago. It really went well. No wasps, snakes or porcupines bothered us, although there might have been one unhappy groundhog who wasn't very pleased that we had stolen his roof!!

Bob told me one afternoon that we needed to pull it, and deliver it to Myron's the next morning, and we went to his family's farm pronto and started in the rain. We pulled the old Stude out from under the tree that it had been sleeping under for the last 30 years, and pulled it down the hill toward the farmhouse so we could get electricity to the impact wrench. Then it was a rush to remove sheet metal and undo bolts and label electrical and gauge connections. We had to get it to Myron's garage before 10:00am the next morning, as Myron was going to leave for South Bend! The next morning Bob's brother came out with a Bobcat to do the heavy lifting, and we completed the removal, took the trans and bellhousing off, and loaded the old flathead into the back of my truck and scooted out for Myron's. We pulled into his garage at 9:55am with 5 minutes to spare... but no Myron. We called the numbers we had for him and left messages, and waited... and waited... we admired Myron's '49 Stude flatbed and waited... and waited... and we finally gave up. We got back in my truck and pulled out and just as we left Myron's driveway who should pull up but Myron himself! He is a great guy! We unloaded the engine--mission accomplished!

Robert Rausch

Comment

We pulled the engine about 10 days or so ago. It really went well. No wasps, snakes or porcupines bothered us, although there might have been one unhappy groundhog who wasn't very pleased that we had stolen his roof!!

Bob told me one afternoon that we needed to pull it, and deliver it to Myron's the next morning, and we went to his family's farm pronto and started in the rain. We pulled the old Stude out from under the tree that it had been sleeping under for the last 30 years, and pulled it down the hill toward the farmhouse so we could get electricity to the impact wrench. Then it was a rush to remove sheet metal and undo bolts and label electrical and gauge connections. We had to get it to Myron's garage before 10:00am the next morning, as Myron was going to leave for South Bend! The next morning Bob's brother came out with a Bobcat to do the heavy lifting, and we completed the removal, took the trans and bellhousing off, and loaded the old flathead into the back of my truck and scooted out for Myron's. We pulled into his garage at 9:55am with 5 minutes to spare... but no Myron. We called the numbers we had for him and left messages, and waited... and waited... we admired Myron's '49 Stude flatbed and waited... and waited... and we finally gave up. We got back in my truck and pulled out and just as we left Myron's driveway who should pull up but Myron himself! He is a great guy! We unloaded the engine--mission accomplished!

Robert Rausch

Comment

While I was under the truck, pulling the driveshaft, I took the opportunity to tap on the bottom of the gas tank and give it a quick visual check. I've seen plenty of rusted-out gas tanks, but to my surprise his tank seemed pretty good. I didn't see any rust-through, and when I tapped on the bottom, it seemed pretty sound. Pretty good for sitting outside for the last 30 years! But just in case the tank turns out to have problems, what are the options? Are there any junkyard tanks that are good fits? Or is something being reproduced that would work well? Thanks!

Myron is going to bore the engine and do a rebuild. I like him--he seemed like a good guy!

Robert Rausch

Comment

While I was under the truck, pulling the driveshaft, I took the opportunity to tap on the bottom of the gas tank and give it a quick visual check. I've seen plenty of rusted-out gas tanks, but to my surprise his tank seemed pretty good. I didn't see any rust-through, and when I tapped on the bottom, it seemed pretty sound. Pretty good for sitting outside for the last 30 years! But just in case the tank turns out to have problems, what are the options? Are there any junkyard tanks that are good fits? Or is something being reproduced that would work well? Thanks!

Myron is going to bore the engine and do a rebuild. I like him--he seemed like a good guy!

Robert Rausch

Comment

There are very few good replacement tanks around, and no known crossovers from brand "X"'s. Most owners have a radiator shop boil the tank out and seal with the aircraft type sealer that now comes in "alcohol proof". Eastwood is one of the vendors that has it.

StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

There are very few good replacement tanks around, and no known crossovers from brand "X"'s. Most owners have a radiator shop boil the tank out and seal with the aircraft type sealer that now comes in "alcohol proof". Eastwood is one of the vendors that has it.

StudeRich
                              Studebakers Northwest
                              Ferndale, WA
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X