PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System: 51 Commander fuel tank?

Athans
09-01-2011, 04:16 PM
In the process of getting my car the fuel tank was dented. I don't know if it is sealed well on the inside or not (either way I am going to redo that). But wondering where I could get another tank and how to check if the inside of the tank is good?

Or instead of a new tank... are there any remedies for getting a dent out of the tank?

Thanks,
~Jon

StudeRich
09-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Remove the five small screws holding the fuel tank gauge sending unit to the tank, accessed through the hole in the trunk floor and shine a light inside to view the condition/damage to your tank. These tanks are originally galvanized inside and out to prevent rust, but over the years will rust through and require the "sealing" you mention that was never required before. Radiator Shops will clean and seal gas tanks for you.

There are NO New tanks, some good used, can sometimes be found however.
Also dents can sometimes be pushed back out by going through the sender hole.

rockne10
09-01-2011, 09:41 PM
dents can sometimes be pushed back out by going through the sender hole.And, if the tank has been totally devoid of gas fumes, a body shop can weld a stud specifically designed for pulling dents out. The stud is then ground off and the surface repainted.
With no new tanks available extra effort is required to salvage what we still have.

StudeMann
09-02-2011, 02:37 AM
With the fenders and filler tube removed, I recently shot a photo looking into my gas tank (same as yours) and was pleasantly surprised to see a very shiny silver lining. I hope that yours is the same in this respect. I previously had a 51 Champion that I needed to get steamed and lined to keep the rust from choking my inline fuel filter.

BTW, What color is your car? Is it Comanche Red or Black Cherry? Look under the glove box and the name of the original color should be printed there.

Jim