PDA

View Full Version : Brakes: Rear Brake/Axle dilema

karterfred88
09-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Just finished putting new linings, wheel cylinders, seals and a bearing cup on my 63 Avanti. The drums looked pretty sound and measured about .040 over, good enough. Put the hubs back on after thoroughly polishing off the surface rust on the axle tapers and inside the hubs and making sure the tapered key was installed correctly ( one side was put in backward originally by a PO or bad mechanic) and feeling I could possibly get to drive her for awhile, started it up and let it idle in 1st on the jack stands with the wheels off. Wobble, wobble go the drums. My guess is the last time these were pulled the hubs or the drum flange area got tweaked using the wrong puller and a sledge. I really am not ready to convert this to flanged axles and new drums ( or pay $400.00 for new drums with hubs that are going to be replaced anyway, as I eventually want to convert to Turner disc all the way around), and the 4.09 rear is way too "busy" to make normal driving enjoyable so the rear will probably need to go. Has anyone tried to straighten the hub flange or drum flange?" or does anyone have a source for a pair of known good used drums and hubs. The car is in the Southern Delaware area at our "retirement" home. I live in Chesapeake, Va most of the time. Ideas, suggestions appreciated

DEEPNHOCK
09-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Bummer...
I seriously doubt you'd ever be successful in straightening a hub.
But, just to be sure... I'd look real close at the center-point on the axle on that wobbly side and make double sure it isn't a bent axle.

Just finished putting new linings, wheel cylinders, seals and a bearing cup on my 63 Avanti. The drums looked pretty sound and measured about .040 over, good enough. Put the hubs back on after thoroughly polishing off the surface rust on the axle tapers and inside the hubs and making sure the tapered key was installed correctly ( one side was put in backward originally by a PO or bad mechanic) and feeling I could possibly get to drive her for awhile, started it up and let it idle in 1st on the jack stands with the wheels off. Wobble, wobble go the drums. My guess is the last time these were pulled the hubs or the drum flange area got tweaked using the wrong puller and a sledge. I really am not ready to convert this to flanged axles and new drums ( or pay $400.00 for new drums with hubs that are going to be replaced anyway, as I eventually want to convert to Turner disc all the way around), and the 4.09 rear is way too "busy" to make normal driving enjoyable so the rear will probably need to go. Has anyone tried to straighten the hub flange or drum flange?" or does anyone have a source for a pair of known good used drums and hubs. The car is in the Southern Delaware area at our "retirement" home. I live in Chesapeake, Va most of the time. Ideas, suggestions appreciated

WCP
09-01-2011, 01:05 PM
What DEEPNHOCK says and then make sure that the hub/drums are fully torqued to fully seat them. Then check that the machined inner surface of the drum has runout or wobble just to rule out that it is not just drum casting wobble or runout. Are there a lot of balance weights on the drums?

karterfred88
09-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Large weights (plural) on one drum, smaller on other. More runout and wobble from the one with the most weights. From looking at the axle while running the axle nut and the cast portiion of the hub near the nut "appear" to not be moving around, hard to get a dail indicator on anything there as nothing is machined. They are torqued to 170 pus a smidge to align the cotter key. Even if I pull the drums back off there is no portion of the axle end fully machined to check run out, the keyway cut out gets in the way and threads are a poor place to run a dail off of. The "center punch" area on the axle tips are pretty beat up from banging on the axle ends, probably during a prior struggle to get the hubs off, so I can't trust that either to measure from..

PackardV8
09-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Has anyone tried to straighten the hub flange or drum flange?" Yes, I saw it done once. No, I wouldn't do it myself. The old farmer/blacksmith who did it with a sledge hammer said, "If the beetch bent, she can damwell bend back." A couple of expertly place whangs with the sledge and the runout was tolerable. All the time, I was thinking "That's a cast iron drum and what is happening to the bearings in there!"

Now that I think about it, Studebakers were built by and for farmer/blacksmiths. Wheelbarrow Johnny might have approved.

jack vines

jack vines

Bob Andrews
09-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Anytime I ever saw a flange or hub bent it was a pretty sure bet it was ready to break. Might be OK for a tractor, but for a car on the road, I would never use a bent hub (or axle) or try to straighten one. Wish I had a better answer for you.

bige
09-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Maybe the drum isn't properly swedged onto the hub? Putting a wheel on may seat it properly. Worth a try!

ErnieR