Help removing Tapered Pin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: Help removing Tapered Pin

62 Lark. I'm replacing bushings on control arms. One side went fine. On the passenger side I need to remove the tapered pin on the lower control arm threaded pin in order to fit the control arm back on. I didn't need to remove the taper pin to remove the control arm because the grease seals were gone and I was able to manuever it off. However I can't replace the control arm with new seals unless I remove the taper pin and drive the threaded pin over a 3/8 inch or so as I did on the other side. The problem is I can't remove it. I've tried heat and so far have bent one punch and am now starting to punch a hole in the top of the taper pin but it wont budge.

Any ideas? Am I going to be stuck drilling it out? I was making such great progress until this. Thanks.

I forgot to add I'm sure I'm driving it the right way. The manual says to drive it upward. The top appears to have swage marks where it was set in place. Does that sound correct?

Comment

yes the pin is driven from the bottom side upwards. The best luck I've had with removing them is a hydraulic press.
      [QUOTE=Dougie;573962]I forgot to add I'm sure I'm driving it the right way. The manual says to drive it upward. The top appears to have swage marks where it was set in place. Does that sound correct?[/QUOTEe]

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
      53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
      57 SH (project)
      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Well I finnaly got it out. Soaked it for a couple days in PB Blaster. I noticed that it had actually been driven beyond the bottom of the trunion. I gave up on using a punch cause it was just making a hole. I filed the edges where it was mushrooming, then drove it hard with a hammer and moved it 1/16" to where it was flush. Once it loosened that little bit I went back to the punch an got it out.

Comment

Working...
        X