Was working on the Studelac the last few days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was working on the Studelac the last few days

Got all except the front sheetmetal striped to the metal.

There was a thread here a few days ago about the aftermarket side moldings for '53-6 C-K's that followed the cove line. These doors at one time had a set of those moldings on them. Gollllie what big holes they have in them.

Slide show here.... http://community.webshots.com/slides...ediaPosition=1
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Looks good Jerry. You're having too much fun watchin' other people work. <G>

Making lots of progress on your '50 Chevy stainless. I plan to deliver it the weekend of the 10th. (Or sometime between now and then).

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
      Looks good Jerry. You're having too much fun watchin' other people work. <G>

Making lots of progress on your '50 Chevy stainless. I plan to deliver it the weekend of the 10th. (Or sometime between now and then).
      Sounds good on the '50 Chevy stainless.
      Regardless what some people (Dave Lester) ;-) have told you, I do most all my own grunt work and fabrication. I'll admit that I am not paint & body man, never claimed to be and never wanted to be. I have about 20 hours of my time and 10 hours of Henry's time spent on the stripping. Some of the bondo was as much as 1/2" thick. Ever who painted this car more than 20 years ago just beat the holes down and piled on the filler. They nosed, decked and removed all the stainless and emblems and slathered bondo in and over all the holes. They must not have owned a welder or torch.
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Is this the car you bought off the Cades?

I just have to give you a hard time about sittin' down so much. Why, I even have a photo to prove otherwise!

Comment

Is this the car you bought off the Cades?
          Yes, this is the car that came from the Cade's. But I don't know how many hands it went through before coming to me. When I got it had a 'Cloverleaf' 232 in it. When I burned a piston and pulled a head the cylinders looked like the block had been laying in the swamp for quite some time. (lots of rust pitting)
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

I even have a photo to prove otherwise!

Yes, that's me. Had to put a clutch in my Ford 3400. While I had it apart I let Henry smear on a gallon of JD Yellow.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Jerry
              What is that rack & pinion you are using. Looks like that works real well.
              Fred

sigpic

Comment

Looks like pont. Grand am and chev ? For get the name steers for center used it on my k body used hymes at spindles and set bump steer that way with spaces

Comment

Glad to see you back on the Forum. I have missed your progress reports and inspiration.
                  Also glad to see you back to weork on the Studelac.
                  I am back to work on Sandi' 61 also. Got the whole morning in today without interuption.
                  This time I am going to try and stick with it and get everything that needs to be finished before the weather chages. Winter is just around the corner, but we are staying home this winter.
                  Good Roads
                  Brian
                  Brian Woods
                  woodysrods@shaw.ca
                  1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
                    Glad to see you back on the Forum. I have missed your progress reports and inspiration.
                    Good Roads
                    Brian
                    Never left. Read the forum every day.
                    I just don't have much to say.
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by Studeguru View Post
                      Jerry
                      What is that rack & pinion you are using. Looks like that works real well.
                      Grand Am, Skylark, etc.
                      I've installed three of these but have never finished a car and driven it. Rolling around in the parking lot there is no scubbing of the tires on the pavement (good ackermen). Without the springs and shocks in place you can jack the frame up and down and there is less bump steer than the original Stude steering. The only problem I see is, the steering is too quick. Only 2- 3/4 turns lock to lock. I plan on rectifying that by installing a steering quickiner turned around backwards to slow the steering down.

Steering quickener from Speedway Motors.
                      Jerry Forrester
                      Forrester's Chrome
                      Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Now I am scared, as I plan to do this but always thought you had to use the shorter quick steering arms from Avanti???
                        Just bought a set!
                        Brian
                        Brian Woods
                        woodysrods@shaw.ca
                        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
                          Now I am scared, as I plan to do this but always thought you had to use the shorter quick steering arms from Avanti???
                          Just bought a set!
                          Brian
                          Yes, you have to use the Avanti quick arms in order to retain the original turning radius. As a matter of fact you'll have the shorten them up a little more. By using quick arms, it makes the steering even quicker (Duh). Hence, the need for the Speedway Motors steering slower downer. ;-)
                          Of course if you never plan going around a sharp corner, such as a driveway entrance, then you don't need the quick arms.
                          I saw the guy that originally engineered the Slick Stuff steering have to back up three times just to get through the motel entrance portico. I don't know if it was because he was running those wide late model Corvette wheels or because the rack didn't move far enough to retain the original turning radius.
                          Building StreetRods is not for the feint of heart. Everything you modify requires you to modify something else so the original modification will work. One time I changed a front bumper bolt that was just a little bit different design. By the time I got through modifying stuff so that new front bumper bolt would work, I was working on the back bumper. The previous two sentences are not actually true, but you get my drift.
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

ok I will bite, what is this car made from to get the name? I have not been here long enough to know about this build.

Comment

buff it out and clear it to keep it chrome looking!
                              Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                              Got all except the front sheetmetal striped to the metal.

There was a thread here a few days ago about the aftermarket side moldings for '53-6 C-K's that followed the cove line. These doors at one time had a set of those moldings on them. Gollllie what big holes they have in them.

Slide show here.... http://community.webshots.com/slides...ediaPosition=1

Comment

Working...
                              X