Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the L.E. Belcourt showroom like? (Seattle)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the L.E. Belcourt showroom like? (Seattle)

I am working on a paper model of the L.E. Belcourt Co. Showroom (the 12th Avenue side only, as the building is a whole block long), and was wondering what the interior and exterior were like. Does anybody have any pictures? I talked with the owner, and he said it was plaster. That is all I know, as it was remodeled in 1979 for use as a liquor store.
    \"Life is short, write in pen\"

I was there only once and that was in 1964. I seem to recall that my impression at that time was that it was a smaller and not as bright as The Studebaker Centers showroom. Good luck on finding any interior pics.
    Dean

CLEM

Comment

I believe Ralph Novarro of Rochester, WA, worked there at one time. You might check with him, he should be in the roster.
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

What was The Studebaker Center's showroom like?

Comment

Tex, you are asking old farts to recall details from almost a half century ago lol. Shure, I wish I had carried my 35mm slide camera around when visiting dealerships back then but I didn't, and never met anyone who did. The Studebaker Center was located on Westlake Ave. facing east towards Lake Union. It was on level ground in an open area unlike LE Belcourt which was in a denser congested area closer to the downtown zone and in an old building. I seem to remember that the front door was centrally located and the building had fairly large windows along the front (Westlake Ave. side), and on the Aloha St. side, but don't remember if the south side had them. At least three cars were in the showroom and the sales desks were located around the edges. Also centrally located was the access to the parts department and to the service or shop area. I think the ceiling was a bit higher than average too. Well that's about as good as I can recall at this time, sorry.
          Dean

CLEM

Comment

Thank you very much. I think you made it possible to identify the attached photograph as being from The Studebaker Center
            http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-15wIh2JP5H...1600/photo.jpg By the way, thank you for remembering that many details.
            Last edited by texbodemer; 09-02-2011, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X