• Show
Clear All

• Sad Note-Lost another great Stude guy

Thanks for the information, Ted.

RIP Lester!
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Comment

Lester was a great guy. Very helpful to many Stutebaker owners.
      He won a top award this year at the Springfield International.
      I'm sorry I don't remember the name of the award.
      Gary Sanders
      Nixa, MO

Comment

Rest in peace!

Comment

Schmitty

Les was a true gentleman, and will be sorely missed for sure. Condolences to Wendy & the kids. Rest in peace, Les.
          I heard that the last of his parts stash was bought by a fellow from KC last weekend...
          Last edited by TX Rebel; 08-27-2011, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Sad to hear the news , Have dealt with Lester on our MANY trips to the U.S.A. meets... Ray and Gloria Crunkhorn South Australia

Comment

The only people who didn't like Lester are those who never met him.
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post

The only people who didn't like Lester are those who never met him.
                Indeed, a super guy.

And of the above photo, sad to realize only Don Simmons remains. Hang in there, Don!

RIP, Lester. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

This is a sad loss to Les's family and the Studebaker community, may he rest in peace. Bud

Comment

I first met Les in 1985, when I lived 40 miles from him till he relocated to MO in the early 90s. I restored several Studes then, using his parts and tutelage; the tutelage came free and cheerfully with his parts. I visited his place in MO around 1998, and continued to buy parts from him over the years thru the mail, but it was never las convenient as the good ole days when I lived 40 miles from him.

Les was a heck of a guy, and drove what he sold. I never saw him at a meet without his Stude in the parking lot. I also never knew him or his immediate family to own anything other than Studes, including his first wife Ester, who drove a 62GT. When the military sent me overseas in the late 90s, Ester allowed me to store my GT in a shed there in EDlCajon, CA at their old place.

I regret I did not see Les in Springfield this year. I did not know he was there. I had heard he was in an assisted living facility in Lebannon, MO. I had planned to stop and see him there in route to or from Springfield. Now sadly, I did not do that either.

RIP Les

Comment

What a greaf couple!
                      After hearing of Lester and Wendy for years, I finally stopped in for a visit
                      a couple of years ago.
                      Was on my way home from helping my Sooner son into his apartment.
                      Thought I was just gonna say hello, and spent about 3'hours with them!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                        I first met Les in 1985, when I lived 40 miles from him till he relocated to MO in the early 90s. I restored several Studes then, using his parts and tutelage; the tutelage came free and cheerfully with his parts. I visited his place in MO around 1998, and continued to buy parts from him over the years thru the mail, but it was never las convenient as the good ole days when I lived 40 miles from him.

Les was a heck of a guy, and drove what he sold. I never saw him at a meet without his Stude in the parking lot. I also never knew him or his immediate family to own anything other than Studes, including his first wife Ester, who drove a 62GT. When the military sent me overseas in the late 90s, Ester allowed me to store my GT in a shed there in EDlCajon, CA at their old place.

I regret I did not see Les in Springfield this year. I did not know he was there. I had heard he was in an assisted living facility in Lebannon, MO. I had planned to stop and see him there in route to or from Springfield. Now sadly, I did not do that either.

RIP Les
                        Les was not able to be in Springfield this year. Wendy accepted the award for him.
                        Gary Sanders
                        Nixa, MO

Comment

As young as I was back then, and given how active he and Dad both were with SDC- I'm sure that I must've met Les once or twice back in his California days. Sadly- I don't recall, being that I wasn't as "into" Studes then as much as I am now.
                          I can say that belonging to the San Diego County SDC during two separate NAVY assignments- I have heard a TON of stories!!!! I believe he was a founding member of that Chapter.

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                          When the military sent me overseas in the late 90s, Ester allowed me to store my GT in a shed there in EL Cajon, CA at their old place.
                          I think I remember that. My Father and I have been renting a 'unit' there for many many years- and still do to this day. I'd say that at least a dozen of our cars (and a Champ) have spent time out there in the building he built for his parts~

R.I.P. Les- you'll be missed by all those who knew you,
                          and those who knew of you, too!!!
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

He sure left a lot of folks with a lot of nice memories, huh!

Joe H

Comment

I met Lester when our Route 66 caravan stopped in Lebanon Mo in April 2003. Quite a nice guy and still driving that truck. R. I. P.
                              64 GT Hawk (K7)
                              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
                              X